CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Clara Giffin

Profile:
Newbea : what kind of excercises should I do at the gym to improve CF performance

I do CF training three times per week and the rest of the week I go to the gym. My question is what kind of workout should I do while at the gym to improve my performance at the CF club? Any suggestions? I m doing some cardio and some weights for now. Thanks for your input!!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:
Re: Newbea : what kind of excercises should I do at the gym to improve CF performan

Squat, deadlift, press and bench press.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Newbea : what kind of excercises should I do at the gym to improve CF performan

What do your CF workouts look like? Do something other than that, or work weaknesses, or get stronger on the big lifts like Ryan said. Few things will improve your performance on metcons like Fran, Grace, etc. more than getting stronger--once those 65lb thrusters or 95lb power cleans aren't heavy for you you'll be able to go a lot faster without getting smoked.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What are your weaknesses? What are your goals? What resources are available at your gym?

Also, what kind of shape are you in? Three CF workouts per week may be plenty right now, in which case you should just do moderate recovery stuff.

Katherine
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Clara Giffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
What are your weaknesses? What are your goals? What resources are available at your gym?

Also, what kind of shape are you in? Three CF workouts per week may be plenty right now, in which case you should just do moderate recovery stuff.

Katherine
My goals are speed and strengh. For instance , today I did 3 rounds of 20 sledge swings (10 ea hand), 1o jumping box ( I can do over so I just jump) , 1climb rope , 200 m farmer carry 40/20 lbs in 14 mins. I want to do it faster without feeling too tired.

My gym has equipment for pull ups, rower machine, weights, etc. I can do squats using dbs but not the weight bar b/c they don't have the one with the rubber plates. Someone told me to run and run and forget about CF so I can build my resistance.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Clara Giffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
What do your CF workouts look like? Do something other than that, or work weaknesses, or get stronger on the big lifts like Ryan said. Few things will improve your performance on metcons like Fran, Grace, etc. more than getting stronger--once those 65lb thrusters or 95lb power cleans aren't heavy for you you'll be able to go a lot faster without getting smoked.
This what I m doing right now: Monday; CF mornings, kickboxing afternoon Tues. cardio and some wods (pull ups, squats, deadlifts) Wed. Weight training morning , kickboxing afternoon . Thur. CF , Fri, CF , Sat. cardio.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

No I meant what do your CF workouts look like. "CF" can mean a lot of different things depending on what kind of programming you're doing.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Giffin View Post
This what I m doing right now: Monday; CF mornings, kickboxing afternoon Tues. cardio and some wods (pull ups, squats, deadlifts) Wed. Weight training morning , kickboxing afternoon . Thur. CF , Fri, CF , Sat. cardio.
That's a lot. When are your rest days? How long have you been training this hard?

Lots of people dive into Crossfit with lots of enthusiasm and burn out quickly because they don't realize that the workouts are very tough and require rest and recovery time.

Katherine
Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Either Olympic lift work if possible, strength work besides some mobility work.

Low intensity cardio will probably not tax your recovery ability that much.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
Squat, deadlift, press and bench press.
and planks, pushups and pullups