CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-08-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Connie Andry

Profile:
What to eat, if anything, before training

Am brand new to CF and other than tennis twice a week have not done formal training for over a year. Am 58 yrs old, and 20lbs overweight. I went to my first class at 5:30 AM, did not eat before and felt queasy mid-way through. Any tips on how to prepare your body for a session food, liquids etc would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Jessica S Roberts

Profile:
Re: What to eat, if anything, before training

I get queasy with no food in my stomach if I work out. When I work out on the morning, my go-to for foods are: small banana or 1/2 toast with peanut butter or small protein shake. Hope that helps! Kudos to you for starting CF!! Good luck!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Andry View Post
Am brand new to CF and other than tennis twice a week have not done formal training for over a year. Am 58 yrs old, and 20lbs overweight. I went to my first class at 5:30 AM, did not eat before and felt queasy mid-way through. Any tips on how to prepare your body for a session food, liquids etc would be greatly appreciated.
What to eat before a wod is a very individual thing. You will have to see what works for you. For any workout less than 45 mins or so your day to day/weekly nutrition will be more important than what you eat 60 minutes before your workout, so get your nutrition in general dialed in first. For you, I would start with eating the same as you do before tennis.

Also, super-intense training causes nausea/queasy-ness regardless of what you ate before hand sometimes.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
What to eat before a wod is a very individual thing. You will have to see what works for you. For any workout less than 45 mins or so your day to day/weekly nutrition will be more important than what you eat 60 minutes before your workout, so get your nutrition in general dialed in first. For you, I would start with eating the same as you do before tennis.

Also, super-intense training causes nausea/queasy-ness regardless of what you ate before hand sometimes.
What he said. I've found that for me, a light meal about 30 mins before I work out is ideal, with an empty stomach being second best.
I also noticed you said that you're 20 lbs overweight... don't worry, my doc told me that I should lose about 60 lbs (I now have a new doctor). Apparently 220 lbs is morbidly obese, lol.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Also, it depends on the nature of the workout. If I'm going to do a strength workout, I eat a full meal if I can, or I'll at least fuel with protein and carbs. If I'm doing a metcon, I prefer to have some protein and maybe a little fat, but not a heavy anything.

YMMV.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I know a lot of usual suggestions are still rough when you train first thing in the morning. No matter how much I know I *should* eat something before I train, the fact that I'm getting up waay too early anyway, and I'm not a natural morning eater, means that the idea of solid food in my stomach grosses me out at that hour. Plus, I don't know about you, but when I'm waking up at 5 to train, I don't give myself much wiggle room in terms of time to cook stuff.

Anywho, here's what I do, and I usually make this the night before and eat it around 5:30AM if I'm training at 6am:

A large scoop of organic mashed sweet potatoes. Yes, I get mine in a can from Wegman's or Whole Foods. Yes, I could totally make them from scratch in a big batch, but I have chosen not to. Haha. Large scoop = about 1/3 cup.

Mix in: 1 large scoop of Optimum Nutrition whey protein. I use the vanilla ice cream flavor, which makes the whole thing taste pretty good. But I think when I run out of this, I'll get plain just to avoid some of the fake sugars. We'll see.

Anyway, this works because it's not sitting like a block in my stomach, and there's no fat to slow absorption, so that and my morning coffee tends to hit my system right when I need it.

I have a normal breakfast after my workout.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
Teresa McDermott

Profile:

I think if I were going to workout that early I would just make sure I ate a good dinner the night before with plenty of fats and just have something light like an apple or boiled egg before the workout. But it might depend on what time you wake up and when you usually eat too.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
David Steckler

Profile:

Unsweetened plain yogurt w/a mix of frozen berries has been my pre-WOD meal for years. It has a good mix of carbs, fat, and protien but doesn't sit in your stomach, epecially if you're well hydrated.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Chantal Brien

Profile:

I have half a cup of cottege cheese with about a cup+ of raspberries. I buy the raspberries frozen in bulk and throw them in the microwave for 2 min (having something warm makes me feel somewhat human). Depending on how long things will have to digest I sometimes throw in some nuts as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

8 eggs, 1/2 pound of bacon, two glasses of milk, apple, handful of almonds.