CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #4361
Ariel Colletti

Profile:
Re: Where's the Girl Power?

That's awesome, Suzanne!! So encouraging. Thank you!

I understand not wanting to get too dependent on anything, but while I'm trying to build up my strength--do you have any opinion on whether the bands or the rings are better to help me get where I need to be?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #4362
Katie Smith

Profile:

I did my first ever WOD as RX'd last night! Took me 8 months to get here. Lol...
I did Fran and got a pretty crappy time (15:49), but I didn't care! First time ever doing Fran too. Damn that was hard but man did it feel good!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #4363
Chantal Brien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Colletti View Post
Hi ladies. I've been doing crossfit for about a week... I did one regular WOD (murph) and have had two beginner classes. My question is... did any of you or do any of you have a lot, lot, LOT of trouble doing pull ups? Like, I don't go anywhere when I try to lift my body weight. It's embarrassing. I'm going to work at it but I'm a little worried that I'm just not going to be able to do this... any one have any experience being terrible at pulls up and then getting better? I'd really love to hear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Colletti View Post
That's awesome, Suzanne!! So encouraging. Thank you!

I understand not wanting to get too dependent on anything, but while I'm trying to build up my strength--do you have any opinion on whether the bands or the rings are better to help me get where I need to be?
I have issues with pullups as well. When I started CrossFit I couldn't do a single one. As in I'd sit there hanging on the bar, pulling as hard as I could and wouldn't move... at all. I decided I really wanted to do one unassisted by the end of the summer so I started doing sets of 3 assisted pullups throughout the day aiming for 10 sets a day. I was on course at the time so I did them mostly off the bars at the top of the stalls in the bathroom once I was sure they would hold my weight (though I did kindof live in fear of how I would explain myself to the course staff if I broke something). I did pullups with bands, jumping pullups, negative pullups, wide grip, narrow grip, overhand, underhand, on bars, on my rings, you get the idea.

Then one day someone told me to focus on pulling with my lats as well as my arms and everything came together for me and I banged out 3 deadhangs in a row. I started getting more comfortable with them, got hurt (not related to pullups), went back to not being able to do them at all and am now stuck at being able to do 1 unassisted. For me the key was/is practicing as often as I could/can throughout the day while listening to my body to make sure I avoid putting myself at risk for injury. Negatives especially are hard on your joints if you ramp up the volume too high too fast so make sure you build some rest into your training progression.

I wouldn't worry too much about using aids at this stage. If I understood her correctly, Suzanne's point was to avoid getting comfortable using the bands because its easier. Keep pushing yourself, gradually reducing the amount of assistance you're using until you can do pullups on your own. You'll get there, it just takes time and practice.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #4364
Chantal Brien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Smith View Post
I did my first ever WOD as RX'd last night! Took me 8 months to get here. Lol...
I did Fran and got a pretty crappy time (15:49), but I didn't care! First time ever doing Fran too. Damn that was hard but man did it feel good!
Awesome work Katie!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #4365
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

I'm just going to go ahead and say that I want everyone who doesn't have a pullup to pretty please focus on dead hang pullups using bands. And just pretend that you never heard of a kipping pullup for now.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #4366
Chantal Brien

Profile:

While kipping is awesome for upping the speed at which you can do pullups once you get to a stage where that is a concern, it is very hard on the joints if your muscles aren't strong enough to support them...
Old 11-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #4367
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal Brien View Post

While kipping is awesome for upping the speed at which you can do pullups once you get to a stage where that is a concern, it is very hard on the joints if your muscles aren't strong enough to support them...
Agreed! I have heard of people being able to do a lot of kipping pull ups yet not one dead hang. I can't imagine how this could be true but yes, work towards a dead hang first. Then when the strength is there, kipping should just be the icing on the cake.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #4368
Ariel Colletti

Profile:

Okay. Great advice, ladies. I think I'm going to get a pull up bar and bands for my apartment, and practice dead hangs. I'm psyched.

Way to go, Katie!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #4369
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Smith View Post
Great job Katie! That first RXd Fran is a rite of passage for sure.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #4370
Liz Stanley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Parton View Post
Agreed! I have heard of people being able to do a lot of kipping pull ups yet not one dead hang. I can't imagine how this could be true but yes, work towards a dead hang first. Then when the strength is there, kipping should just be the icing on the cake.
I wish that were true... I can do dead hangs but kipping eludes me!