CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Josh Bailey

Profile:
When are your strength days?

Just curious when it works out best for folks if you are following the programming you may not end up with a one day W for a while. How do you work in strength days?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: When are your strength days?

Everyday
Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Brent Eno

Profile:

some boxes program a strength component to be done before a typical high intensity WOD. It all depends on the WOD though. If its a quick metcon, like helen or fran, I will usually do something heavy first, usually a 5x3 or 5x5. If its a grinder, like eva, I don't do anything else.

You just need to listen to your body and understand the type of WOD you are going to do that particular day, then make a decision on what you want to do. You can also do some technical work before or after(ring practice, handstands, double unders...).
Old 07-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Everyday
Same here
Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
Latham Fell

Profile:

Every WOD day. I rotate through squat, press, deadlift, squat clean and jerk, and squat snatch, and do either a 1RM, 3RM or 5RM. So a new 1RM for a particular movement comes up every 18 days. I almost always manage to add 5 or 10 lbs. I do this before the workout regardless of what the WOD is.

This is only because I consider strength to be my weakness. Once I get up to 315 squat, bodyweight press (180), 405 deadlift, 225 clean and jerk and 160 or so squat snatch, I'm going to switch to working on gymnastics movements pre-WOD, and let my strength numbers continue to climb at the whim of the main page.

This is the way I look at it: the main page does a good job of building the capacity for new strength 1RM's. However, you still have to "cash in" the work you do with 1RM attempts. Doing 75 heavy thrusters, for instance, will bump up your back squat - but you still have to actually do the 1RM back squat to register that increase.

It's the same with running - the main page will build you a massive cardio capacity. But, if you want to be an excellent runner, you still have to "cash in" that capacity by actually running.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Josh Bailey

Profile:

Thank you all. Latham and Brent, that makes good sense. I have been Crossfitting for almost 3 years now in different boxes, but once I moved to Peru, the availability of Oly equipment and scarcity of boxes has changed my training. I was used to relying on someone else to do my programming for me. So, I registered for the Level 1 cert and have been studying and trying to program for myself. Got the cert on the 31st in Atlanta, bought some Rippetoe books to pick up when I am there, and am super pumped! I am going to give your program a whirl Latham. Again, thanks for the help.

Dr. J
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
John Stone

Profile:

For the people saying "everyday" could I ask:

Are you underlaying SS or 5/3/1 with the daily metcons? Or are you talking about doing a few unstructured and/or light-weight (<65% 1RM) lifts/squats/pulls before doing the WOD.

I am primarily interested because I am looking at 3-4 5/3/1 lifts per week + 4 metcon/WODs per week but I do not know if that type of program is too much to recover from on a sustained basis.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Ralston Baker

Profile:

I have been doing strength nearly everyday for the past year or so. Usually one of the following: DL, Cleans, Snatch, OHS, Jerk, Press, RDL, FS, and BS. Sometimes before a metcon, sometimes after.

For the most part we have subscribed to a max of 5 reps / set. Although, recently we have upped volume a TON.. Currently Im just concentrating on Olympic Lifting and he has us squatting everyday usually 6-8 reps / set... With the huge increase in volume, I have backed off of the metcons all together.
M/ 26/ 5'11/ 190lbs Fran:2:11 Squat (High Bar):500 C&J:356# Snatch: 264# FSquat:420 Grace: 1:38
Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Ralston Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
For the people saying "everyday" could I ask:

Are you underlaying SS or 5/3/1 with the daily metcons? Or are you talking about doing a few unstructured and/or light-weight (<65% 1RM) lifts/squats/pulls before doing the WOD.

I am primarily interested because I am looking at 3-4 5/3/1 lifts per week + 4 metcon/WODs per week but I do not know if that type of program is too much to recover from on a sustained basis.

John,
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

When I was trying to up my metcon, it went something like this. I followed the 5/3/1 to the book. I think it was a deload week every 4 weeks or something. As for the metcons I would go hard Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri.. Do a half volume, or have intensity metcon on Wednesday. I also was adding a few LSD runs during the week.. My metcon went through the roof, and I got a lot stronger as well... However, I must say that I normally put a 12-15 min cap on my programmed metcons. They probably average 6 min.

Now that I am training for O-Lifting competition, Im focusing everything on strength and power. I do a little running the the mornings, and lifting heavy every day. (Although, he has me on a 5 day a week/ 3 day a week rotation.) Trying to put on 12 lbs to get to 207. No metcons, just some agility ladder drills and stuff like that to warm up.
M/ 26/ 5'11/ 190lbs Fran:2:11 Squat (High Bar):500 C&J:356# Snatch: 264# FSquat:420 Grace: 1:38
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I do Oly (either snatch of C&J), a squat and a press

4-6 hours later I come back and deadlift (every other training day), do an upper body pull, something for the trunk, either abs or lower back, 2 sets of direct bicep or tricep work then a short metcon (5-8) minutes.

I do that 3 times a week. On the foruth day I do both olympic lifts, lower back and GHR.