CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
Gene Lonnon

Profile:
Craigs list (priceless)

I started looking at Craigslist in October and had plenty of time because I was using P90X as a train up for crossfit. So I gave myself a few months before I needed a gym. It took me longer than I thought A big part of using Craigslist effectively is knowing what's a good deal. Second is being able to travel long distances on a moment's notice. Thirdly is to treat the sellers with respect (they tend to throw in free stuff) and bring extra cash along in case they've got other cool stuff to sell. This is what I found over a five month timeframe:

Rubber encased plates TKO 370#'s for -- $100 (Great price needed bumpers)
C2 Rower Model D $286 (By far my best purchase)
Airtech 3000 rower $100 (plan to sell since C2 is awesome)
Dumbbells 45#,35#,25#,20#,10#,5# with rack- $95
Power Cage/pull up/Nice Olympic Barbell- $50
Olympic Barbell- $80

I built boxes and bought rings, GHD and a kettle bell. Still looking for medicine balls, kettle bells and most importantly bumpers. Stall matts may have been the biggest transformer in my Garage Gym. Still need a place to do kipping pullups. Does anybody know a good place to buy bumpers in Orlando/Florida?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Craigs list (priceless)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Lonnon View Post
I started looking at Craigslist in October and had plenty of time because I was using P90X as a train up for crossfit. So I gave myself a few months before I needed a gym. It took me longer than I thought A big part of using Craigslist effectively is knowing what's a good deal. Second is being able to travel long distances on a moment's notice. Thirdly is to treat the sellers with respect (they tend to throw in free stuff) and bring extra cash along in case they've got other cool stuff to sell. This is what I found over a five month timeframe:

Rubber encased plates TKO 370#'s for -- $100 (Great price needed bumpers)
C2 Rower Model D $286 (By far my best purchase)
Airtech 3000 rower $100 (plan to sell since C2 is awesome)
Dumbbells 45#,35#,25#,20#,10#,5# with rack- $95
Power Cage/pull up/Nice Olympic Barbell- $50
Olympic Barbell- $80

I built boxes and bought rings, GHD and a kettle bell. Still looking for medicine balls, kettle bells and most importantly bumpers. Stall matts may have been the biggest transformer in my Garage Gym. Still need a place to do kipping pullups. Does anybody know a good place to buy bumpers in Orlando/Florida?
It looks like you got some good deals.

I do not know much about the equipment available in Orlando, but in San Diego, the few stores that carry bumpers sell them for more than it would cost you online from any of the merchants who post on here, even with shipping. Something that you may consider is contacting whoever is putting on your local sectional to see if they will be selling equipment after the event. If they are, it is a great way to save on shipping costs for bumpers.