CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
Cameron Mochrie

Profile:
Snatch 105lbs Nov.9

I've been trying out the snatch last few weeks and am trying to get my form up to a level where I won't be scared of hurting myself. I've done 135lbs but it felt a little shaky. This video is with 105lbs, but I didn't end up doing more because my lower back was bothering me/shins were bleeding :-).

Does it look ok? I realize I'm not going anywhere deep enough for a full snatch but my OHS numbers arent very good (probably 120ish at best). Should I just work on the simpler stuff until I can bodyweight (175lbs) OHS or so?
thanks much,
Cameron
Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Two big things:
1. It's ease for you to turn your video camera sideways but much harder for us to turn our monitors sideways.
2. You aren't getting any rebend of the knees and the bar is much too far away from the thighs. You should be starting the explosion phase when the bar touches the crease of the hips; instead you are trying to explode from the floor.

One minor point, keep a big chest and don't let your shoulders round forward. You are letting your shoulders and upper back collapse a bit as the bar comes off the ground.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Cameron Mochrie

Profile:
Thanks a lot lincoln. Sorry for the awkward view...I wasn't thinking beforehand when we made the videos. I'll definitely try and work on exploding later in the lift - you're right I have been trying to come off the floor hard everytime. I think that might help my back/shoulders rounding as I won't be pulling quite so hard at the start.
thanks again.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Keep pulling the bar back into you as the bar passes the knees. Get into a 'jump' position - that's where the rebend of the knees comes in - THEN unload on the bar.

http://crossfitsedona.com/Videos/SnatchDemo.mov