CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Re: Using CF theory in school

Why not compare similar things? Comparing Zatsiorsky with Glassman is like comparing a musicologist to a musician. They don't even try to be the same.

A PhD matters if you are doing science (lets not get into why science is useful). If you are a coach, while some sort of higher education might help (I'd like to see some sort of standards on physiology knowledge enforced at Level 1 certs), it's not absolutely necessary.

If your proposal needs to be scientifically justified, don't include Crossfit's definition of fitness. You would include Zatsiorsky, Tabata, etc.... If your thing has to offer advice on programs to follow, then you can include Crossfit, point to the quality of its athletes (which is very good), Rippetoe's programs, Louie Simmons, something like that.

Just make sure you know how to navigate whichever audience will be reading your stuff, rather than proselytizing about Crossfit and losing their attention.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
I'm not inferring you should leave. I am simply observing that a lot of what you say is negative.
I don't see it that way. Everything I said about Zatsiorsky was positive. Disagreement is healthy - even in here.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Dude, you have a chip on your shoulder. You also don't read very well.

What I intended, and what I think would have been clear to someone not already 3/4ths of the way towards full-blown fight or flight, was that in the same way that there would be no COPYRIGHT, or INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY issues in citing ANY authority--or person with an opinion--on ANY topic, there is not an issue here. If you were to cite Zatsiorsky, you would cite him. If you were to cite Greg Glassman--to be clear, this is what the question was--the protocol would be the same.

As far as peer review, all I can say is that knowing nothing else about you, I can infer you have not been here long. Nor are you likely to stay. We're not your people.

Why are you here? I'm not saying you should leave, although that would be my preference based on this discussion. What I'm asking is why you bother spending time with people who respect someone you obviously place lower on the totem pole than the many thousands of fitness professionals who have more credentials than Coach Glassman does?

I mean, if you want degrees, and peer review, we don't have that. We must totally suck. Why is someone of your caliber hanging with losers like us?

Closed Thread