CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Alan Haisler

Profile:
Calf Strain while POSE running

I've been doing Crossfit for about 3 months and started working on POSE running about 6 weeks ago after watching a couple of videos on it. I've never been formally trained in running, and have always struggled with it. I ran the 5K the last time it came up as a WOD using POSE and actually finished it and felt good afterward.

Yesterday I decided to do a little running on the treadmill. I walked a quarter mile, then ran a quarter, then walked a little and ran another quarter. On my fourth quarter mile run, I felt my right calf tighten up so I stopped. It's sore today and tight, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I've never strained a calf muscle running. I've never strained my right calf muscle in my life.

What could have caused the strain? Obviously the running, but why now and never before? A little more info: I'm 38, I strained my right Achilles a few years ago, & I was running barefoot. Any thoughts or comments?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Calf Strain while POSE running

Sore and tight does not mean a strain.

Do some massage -- myofascial release & cross friction on the areas -- as well as stretching/tennis ball/foam rolling. Should help loosen it up.

Try *not* to do high volume work while learning POSE or any other new techniques. You're working muscles with new movement patterns so they're not used to the stress. Lots of running while doing POSE often messes people's calves up. Your problem is nothing new, and it can easily be avoided.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Charles Burnett

Profile:
Re: Calf Strain while POSE running

Alan,
Learning how to Pose from some videos online is a very difficult venture. I know, because I tried the same thing for nearly 4 months and just didn't get it.

I went to a CFE cert, and Carl figured out my issues immediately. I know it is difficult to find a POSE or CFE trainer. Here is my suggestion.

Video Tape yourself in POSE stance, pull drill and Change of Stance (COS) from both the left and right side. Post these videos to the Pose tech website (vimeo or google are best so they can download them and then analyze the video frame by frame if nessecary)

This will help you. Many of the coaches on the Pose website are willing to help you with suggestions and pointers free of charge.
If you are unable to get to a coach, this is the next best thing. Trying to self teach is tough.

As an aside, one common new POSE runner mistake is called "toe running". This means, you are focusing so much on landing on the Ball of the Foot (BoF) that you are staying up on your toes the entire time, and thus over working your calves. When you land BoF and under your GCM your heel will lightly touch the ground before you initiate the next pull. If your foot is relaxed and your are not landing in flexion you will not experience the severe calf soreness much, if at all. There is an adaption phase, but it should be no more than 2 weeks.

Oh, and until you get POSE down do not run more than 1/2 to 1/4 mile at a time. You are essentially relearning years of muscle memory and it can take some time. Do your drills, run a little, then drill some more. The CFE cert gives 6 weeks of "homework" to learning how to run pose. During this homework, at no time do you run more than 6 minutes at a time, and that is toward the end of the 6 weeks.

Hope this helps
Chuck B

Last edited by Charles Burnett : 04-10-2009 at 03:22 PM.