CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
Trey Touchstone

Profile:
Visceral Fat Accumulation

I'm trying to do some research on visceral fat accumulation (the typical hard-gut fat guy). I understand that visceral fat accumulates between the organs and the abdominal cavity versus subcutaneous fat which accumulates closer to the skins surface. I've also read that visceral fat is more dangerous because it is directly surrounding the organs. What I haven't been able to find any answers to why fat accumulates within the abdominal cavity of some people and directly under the skin of others? Is it genetics? Diet?

Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated. Also, if any of the above is crap let me know...
Old 02-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Sara Fleming

Profile:
Re: Visceral Fat Accumulation

Another word for this fat is the "omentum". I've seen Dr. Oz (Oprah's friend) talk about it a lot and its discussed at length in his book You on a diet. Here's a link that talks about some things that influence its size (wfs) http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-omentum.htm.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Greater omentum yes..

Mostly genetics, but if you're putting on a lot of fat you're gonna put some there. The problem with visceral fat is that it's metabolically active and produces low levels of hormones such as estrogen. Basically, you can end up with metabolic syndrome, higher risk of strokes, cardiovascular disease, etc.... although these are all for the most part symptoms of obesity as well.

Obesity kills.. yes.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Steven, have you seen any research related to "focusing" on losing that kind of fat? Or does it just go away in equal amounts when general fat loss is the goal?

Example: Does reducing stress/cortisol combined with proper diet show a higher propensity to lose omentum vs. subcutaneous?

Just curious. I know little about this subject.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Considering how high intensity exercise and low carb diets

(1) increase insulin sensitivity and
(2) help people drop weight

From what I've read visceral fat is "easy come easy go" as long as you have a method for fat loss... it's all good.

And, as you know, there's various studies about low carb and high intensity exercise bringing people back from type II diabetes, metabolic syndrome, etc. Just search pubmed with any of the keywords diabetes, metabolic syndrome with "high intensity" as the other two search words and you'll find a bunch of studies on that.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Trey Touchstone

Profile:

Thanks for the insight... I have just gotten my dad to start training with me (strength and mobility in preparation for crossfit) and now it's time to start working on his diet. He's going to be very resistant so I'm trying to arm myself with knowledge before I begin the battle.
So paleo and crossfit should do just the trick.