CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Hematuria - Do I have rhabdo?

Okay guys, I'm a bit nervous here. I've been doing CF for over a year now. I've got a 4:30 Fran, a 19 minute 5K, and a 725# CFT at 150# so I've gotten used to CF-intensity.

On Tuesday I bought a pair of Vibram FiveFingers. I loved them so much that I did 10x200m intervals all-out that night. My urine was a little brown that night, but I didn't think much of it. Thursday I did 3x(200m+400m+600m) hard in the VFF's too. Urine was only a little brown that night. Tue, Wed, and Thurs I did heavy ring work. So all this week I've had very severe DOMS in my calves, feet, and all of my upper body. I took Friday off.

I am running a 50 mile ultra at the end of the month, so I went out for a 13 mile run today, again in the VFFs, even though my legs were really sore. I had a bad breakfast today so by mile 3 I had to make a pit stop. I still felt queasy so I decided I'd just run 2 miles all out and wrap it up. When I got back, urine was bright red (it was clear this morning). My calves are extremely sore now but other than that I feel fine.

So should I be worried? I think I'm going to switch back to regular running shoes for a few days because I jumped into these VFFs too quickly. I need to keep running to train for my race. I need to get a long tempo run in tomorrow.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 09-06-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Bill Pontius

Profile:
Re: Hematuria - Do I have rhabdo?

Shane, I'm no doc but if I was coaching someone with your experience, I'd say GET IT CHECKED OUT! and don't run another step until you do. And afeter it's checked, take a couple of days off. Train with your brain as well as your butt. Please.

Bill
Old 09-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Adam Noble

Profile:

You really have to ease into running in the vff. I thought I had before the last 5 k, but wound up torching my calves for about a week and a half. I'm no doctor but just the description of your urine is freaking me out. Go get checked out.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Unless your urine is consistently brown, that first day should have been your wake-up call, and that alone should have sent you to your doc or the ER.

Seriously, blood in the urine shows up as a dark color . . . seldom bright red unless you have a very active bleed. I would strongly urge you get medical attention about 3 days ago.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

It got back to clear a few hours ago, so there was only a small amount of blood. Still sore in the calves though. Upper body is fine so I just PR'd a pullup/burpee WOD... I guess I'll have to hold off on my run.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 09-06-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Wade Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
It got back to clear a few hours ago, so there was only a small amount of blood. Still sore in the calves though. Upper body is fine so I just PR'd a pullup/burpee WOD... I guess I'll have to hold off on my run.
I don't understand why you aren't resting. ???
Old 09-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Blood in the urine can be fairly common in runners. Its supposed to be worse if you run with a completely empty bladder. And I imagine you're having problems with the added impact from the 5fingers. I think you need to back off and rest and let your bladder heal for a few days then EASE into it. Can't you alternate running in normal shoes and 5 fingers for a while? Keep the mileage and intensity down a bit till you get used to it.

Oh, it not rhabdo, just from the friction of your bladder walls rubbing together - usually.

Last edited by Aileen Reid : 09-06-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileen Reid View Post
Blood in the urine can be fairly common in runners. Its supposed to be worse if you run with a completely empty bladder. And I imagine you're having problems with the added impact from the 5fingers. I think you need to back off and rest and let your bladder heal for a few days then EASE into it. Can't you alternate running in normal shoes and 5 fingers for a while? Keep the mileage and intensity down a bit till you get used to it.

Oh, it not rhabdo, just from the friction of your bladder walls rubbing together - usually.
I think you're right. I searched for "bladder walls rubbing together" ... and I got this http://www.ultrunr.com/urine-bl.html (wfs). Looks like it's common among ultra runners, and that it's a dehydration issue.

Come to think of it, the weather was so humid in New York City today that I was sweating more than I can ever remember doing in a long time. I didn't bother stopping for fluids because I have been training my 13.1 mile runs with only a couple sips at mile 6. So with an empty bladder, I wonder if the dehydration caused my upset stomach, or possibly the upset stomach caused the dehydration. The other days this week I do remember being thirsty, an obvious sign of dehydration.

Either way I'm drinking lots of water now and things seem okay.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Not to knock, but if you weren't going to listen to the folks' advice on here to go see a doc, why'd you ask? Seriously, there's enough stories of Rhabdo from folks doing new things that you don't want to mess around with it.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
Not to knock, but if you weren't going to listen to the folks' advice on here to go see a doc, why'd you ask? Seriously, there's enough stories of Rhabdo from folks doing new things that you don't want to mess around with it.
He should make absolutely sure he doesn't have it and do 100 GHD situps for time...

(really though Shane...don't do that)