CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-31-2004, 05:51 AM   #1
Larry Cook

Profile:
Hi ... part way thru an outside crescent kick routine I hurt my knee. The pain is not too bad but I have large lump on the inside-back of my left knee .. feels like a muscle just popped out a bit. I can walk on it, but it is starting to turn black & blue. Any idea what this is? Do I need medical help or just ice and rest. Thanks. Larry
Old 02-04-2004, 10:17 AM   #2
will schrenk

Profile:

It might be nothing, but as you and your knees want to be together a long time, get it checked out and better safe than sorry.

Just my two cents.

Will
Old 02-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
Chris Doughty

Profile:

Yeah, ya know that really doesn't sound very good. If you felt it "pop" at the time of injury that might have been a ligament going out on you. The subsequent displacment of the bones may have caused some damage to the blood vessels causing the swelling and bruising you're seeing. Were it my knee, I'd ice it and wait for the swelling to go down and then go see an orthopedist. If, however, that lump keeps getting bigger or you have signs of poor blood flow in your lower leg, go to any doc you can find today.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I would get it checked. Swelling of the nature you describe in the popletel fossa (back of the knee) is not a good sign.
Robb
Old 02-08-2004, 12:48 AM   #5
Scott Shafer

Profile:
Stop crescent kicking. Get a concealed carry permit and learn to reload quickly under duress. That fancy kick stuff will get you killed in the street.

Seriously, bro', get thyself to a doctor. When it bruises and swells, you got problems. I've been there. Turned out to be a mild muscle tear.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:28 AM   #6
F

Profile:

A friend had the same symptoms, but in his elbow. Turned into a nasty case of bursitus (sp?) that had to be drained about 4 times and took 3 months for the swelling to go down.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:42 AM   #7
Larry Cook

Profile:
Boyzzz ... my bad for not updating this thread sooner ... thanks for all the comments. Me and the knee are doing fine, ended up being a blown blood vessel. It was an interesting injury in that it looked absolutely hideous but was not very painfull at all. Popliteal fossa was a new one for me .. had to look that up. Scott, yeah those fancy kicks can look good but are not particularly practical ... other well placed kicks more functional on the street or, as you mention, something even more lethal. Train hard and thanks.