CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
Bob Herald

Profile:
Re: Bodyweight rep/set schemes.

Nic, thanks for the tips.

I have indeed lost size but bodyfat as well. I feel that my relative strength is better. Which is better for my sport (bjj). Heavy weights had me around 215 lbs. in a weight division that ranged from 208-225 lbs.

Bodyweight and kettlebells pared me down to a leaner 205 lbs. in a weight class that ranges from 192-208 lbs.

My lb swing and TGU strength has increased as well as my pullups and dips strength. Probably due to the decreased body weight. I'm sure that my absolute strength has gone down and I would probably do miserably in the bench press and deadlift right now, but I feel my mobility and strength to body weight ratio is better.

This is not related to your post but I'm thinking aloud.
I used to think heavy strength training was more important for combat sports but as I grow older, mobility , movement quality, and strength in compromised positions seems more important than absolute strength in traditional movement patterns.

There are so many other variables to a highly technical sport like jiujitsu. Often a guy that is 50-100 lbs lighter than another guy will defeat him in an absolute division. My trainjng partner weighs 295 and benches 405 lbs. occasionally I will get the better of him in training due to speed and mobility. And of coarse technique. It is very different than wrestling in this respect. In wrestling the stronger, better conditioned athlete prevails. But jiujitsu relies heavily on technique, position, and leverage.

Because of this current frame of thought, I have decided to base my training on armor building for injury prevention, movement quality, and GPP with calisthenics.

I will never be as strong as my friend but I can move better. MMA fighters are catching on to this as well. If you look at Connor mcgreggor and TJ Dillashaw, they are students of movement. Anderson silva was an example as well. Their prowess does not lie in being stronger than their opponent, but in moving better and more fluidly.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
I used to think heavy strength training was more important for combat sports but as I grow older, mobility , movement quality, and strength in compromised positions seems more important than absolute strength in traditional movement patterns.
This is right on. I used to work at a major fight sports gym (Tiger Muay Thai & MMA in Thailand). We had a lot of professional and amateur martial artists, including a large BJJ program. I noticed that the best fighters spent most of their training on sport specific technique, speed, mobility, and metabolic conditioning.

And the fighters that weren't the best, the guys that kept losing, were typically strong and cocky guys who didn't have very good joint mobility or metcon. These guys worried too much about an intimidating physique, but had stiff shoulders or slow hips, and couldn't make it through a round without getting winded.

I had great success with "fighter WODs" built of several rounds of short AMRAPs with brief rests in between. The movements would try to approximate the needs of the sport (e.g. explosive hips & shoulders, solid core), and the workout structure would approximate the rounds they used in their sport.

Here are a some examples:

BJJ
7 minute AMRAP
Situp, rollover, pushup, rollover
+1 rep per round (2 situps, rollover, 2 pushups, rollover, etc.)

Muay Thai
5 rounds with 1 minute rests
3 minute AMRAP:
5 box jumps, 5 KB swings, 5 kipping pullups

MMA
3 rounds with 1 minute rests
5 minute AMRAP:
10 clapping pushups, 10 burpees, 10 DB push press
Old 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
Bob Herald

Profile:

Wow I'm jealous. It's always been a dream of mine to train at Tiger Muay Thai. Even before all of the Famous mma guys started going there, I dreamed of going. Back when I wanted to go I don't think they even had a bjj program.

I will definitely try out that circuit. I used to do the fight gone bad workout with good success.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #14
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Well, you should head over to Thailand and check the place out some time. Great BJJ program headed by Fernando Maccachero of Brazillian Top Team.

Those circuits are just examples. You can come up with your own stuff that fits your needs, maybe swap out the movements in Fight Gone Bad.

There are also some good fighter wods here: http://unlimitedkickboxing.typepad.c...hter-wods.html (safe link)
Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
Bob Herald

Profile:

Thank you Nic! ill check it out!