CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Cody S Oates

Profile:
OHS/Snatch Problems...why can't I figure it out?!?!

Hey everyone...I just wanted to get some input/advice on OHS/Snatch work. I'm pretty sure it's mostly a mobility issue for me in both the shoulders & hips...I'm working on it! But it seems like I haven't made ANY progress and its been almost 3 months! The heaviest I've been able to OHS was 85# and it felt horrible & probably looked just as bad! I can power snatch 115# but can't catch it in a full squat w/o bailing.

Basically what I'm wondering is...has anyone experienced this & how did you improve or progress to get better @ holding the bar overhead & getting low enough? I don't even feel comfortable w/ an unloaded bar doing OHS...I've been doing daily hip mobility for 10 mins/day & shoulder mobility as much as possible w/ bands...what am I missing??? I appreciate any input or advice!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:
Re: OHS/Snatch Problems...why can't I figure it out?!?!

No advice from me...I am 17 months into my CF training and OHS and full snatch lifts are very rough for me. I have worked up t a 1RM 135 OHS but that is ONE rep...and it has to be a good day and I work up to it slowly. Form is OK but not great or comfortable. Most days, even trying to rep out 95lb OHS is very rough.

Full Snatch, very hard. I am working on it but the progress is slow. I would not be impatient after 3 months...I would say be patient because it is going to take longer than that.

Keep plugging away

Glenn
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S Oates View Post
Hey everyone...I just wanted to get some input/advice on OHS/Snatch work. I'm pretty sure it's mostly a mobility issue for me in both the shoulders & hips...I'm working on it! But it seems like I haven't made ANY progress and its been almost 3 months! The heaviest I've been able to OHS was 85# and it felt horrible & probably looked just as bad! I can power snatch 115# but can't catch it in a full squat w/o bailing.

Basically what I'm wondering is...has anyone experienced this & how did you improve or progress to get better @ holding the bar overhead & getting low enough? I don't even feel comfortable w/ an unloaded bar doing OHS...I've been doing daily hip mobility for 10 mins/day & shoulder mobility as much as possible w/ bands...what am I missing??? I appreciate any input or advice!

I had a similar problem, and my solution was simple, I bought some olympic shoes. My main issue was my ankles, I couldn't even overhead squat the empty bar without my heels on bumper plates, and my max squat clean is 250 and front squat is 275 (and power snatch being 160). After the shoes I got right up to 85 pounds and the only reason I didn't go heavier was my wrists, not my flexibility holding me back. Since I have been working a bit on it and the weight has gone up quickly.

So if you don't have oly shoes Id suggest investing in some, if you are already wearing olympic shoes then I can only suggest to post a video and tell us what stretches you are specifically doing.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Cody S Oates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Victor French View Post
I had a similar problem, and my solution was simple, I bought some olympic shoes. My main issue was my ankles, I couldn't even overhead squat the empty bar without my heels on bumper plates, and my max squat clean is 250 and front squat is 275 (and power snatch being 160). After the shoes I got right up to 85 pounds and the only reason I didn't go heavier was my wrists, not my flexibility holding me back. Since I have been working a bit on it and the weight has gone up quickly.

So if you don't have oly shoes Id suggest investing in some, if you are already wearing olympic shoes then I can only suggest to post a video and tell us what stretches you are specifically doing.
I do have Oly shoes & have felt way more comfortable in them in a deep squat. I am working on getting a video since I know that will help a lot more but haven't had a chance yet. My daily mobility is based simply off how I'm feeling & what needs the most work. Obviously my hips: 2 mins in bottom squat, 1 min each side of Samson Stretch, & 1 min each side in that pigeon pose. Shoulders: dislocates & OHS w/ PVC. W/ band I do the stretch that pulls the shoulder/pec apart laterally and pull your head away to open up that area (don't know what it's called), & I usually do some kipping/butterfly pullups to loosen shoulders up. The only thing I don't ever really do is foam roll the thoracic area. I've seen some improvement but as far as holding weight overhead & squatting, I just can't get the right feel for it yet. Everything is falling foward or I just can't reach parallel. Thanks for the help BTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Plomchok View Post
No advice from me...I am 17 months into my CF training and OHS and full snatch lifts are very rough for me. I have worked up t a 1RM 135 OHS but that is ONE rep...and it has to be a good day and I work up to it slowly. Form is OK but not great or comfortable. Most days, even trying to rep out 95lb OHS is very rough.

Full Snatch, very hard. I am working on it but the progress is slow. I would not be impatient after 3 months...I would say be patient because it is going to take longer than that.

Keep plugging away

Glenn
Thanks for the advice...patience is the hardest part. I know I'll get there, just want to speed it up a little!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Hard to say without video.

Are your elbows locked out with your max snatch or are they bending?

Can you OHS to the bottom? How much torso lean?

Have you tried going wider with your grip in the OHS and Snatch?

Quote:
Everything is falling foward or I just can't reach parallel
Sounds like you are catching and being pulled to your toes in the landing or in the pull. Could also be the bar flying too far forward. Could be the back rounding or doing the stripper pull.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Cody S Oates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Hard to say without video.

Are your elbows locked out with your max snatch or are they bending?

Can you OHS to the bottom? How much torso lean?

Have you tried going wider with your grip in the OHS and Snatch?

Sounds like you are catching and being pulled to your toes in the landing or in the pull. Could also be the bar flying too far forward. Could be the back rounding or doing the stripper pull.
I'm going to try to get some video this weekend for y'all! My elbows are locked out when I reach the top but when I'm down in the squat they definitely bend & are way uncomfortable. I cannot OHS to the bottom w/o falling foward and bailing. It basically feels like I can't squat w/ my torso upright that much. The more I try to stay upright I lose balance backwards. Maybe my ankle mobility isn't good either? I have tried wider grip which feels better but the bar is basically right above my skull. I've just been focusing on OHS since I can't snatch w/o an OHS but for the most part my pulls on snatch are decent. My coach worked alot w/ me on the pulls it's just catching it and getting low enough that I'm having problems with. Like I said I'll get some video on here ASAP & hopefully that helps out. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Andrew Joseph

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S Oates View Post
I'm going to try to get some video this weekend for y'all! My elbows are locked out when I reach the top but when I'm down in the squat they definitely bend & are way uncomfortable. I cannot OHS to the bottom w/o falling foward and bailing. It basically feels like I can't squat w/ my torso upright that much. The more I try to stay upright I lose balance backwards. Maybe my ankle mobility isn't good either? I have tried wider grip which feels better but the bar is basically right above my skull. I've just been focusing on OHS since I can't snatch w/o an OHS but for the most part my pulls on snatch are decent. My coach worked alot w/ me on the pulls it's just catching it and getting low enough that I'm having problems with. Like I said I'll get some video on here ASAP & hopefully that helps out. Thanks!
Sounds like the same problems I have. With the disclaimer that this is self-diagnosed I think my problem (and maybe yours) is a combination of two mobility issues: shoulders and ankles. I can barely bring the bar behind my head in any pressing motion and things like kipping pull-ups I just can't do. I can squat deep, but I have the tendency to lean forward as I'm doing so.

At the top of the OHS my shoulders are already somewhat strained and so as I drop and lean forward the stress on the shoulders increases as my head and shoulder blades are then pulling further away from the bar. I'm working on shoulder mobility and ankle mobility both and I see some improvments--but this will probably be the most difficult exercise for me to get to a level that in commensurate with the weight I can do on other lifts.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'll guess we'll wait on video.

Keep working that flexibility, sounds like a problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Nicholas Ferrara

Profile:

Snatch Grip Push press and Snatch balance will really help getting use to catching and holding the weight in the right position without having to go through the pull for each try.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

How often are you working on overhead squats and snatches? From reading what you wrote, you are doing 10 minutes a day of mobility work but you don't mention how often you are actually working on the snatch or what specific snatch related drills you are doing. If you are doing more mobility work than actual snatch work, I have a feeling you'll start making progress if you replace the 10 minutes of mobility work with 10 minutes of overhead squats, snatch balances/drops, hang snatches, etc. with just the bar.

You say you aren't comfortable with the empty bar so first step is getting comfortable with the empty bar. Holding weight over your head with a wide grip isn't a stable, natural position so you have to work on it get used to it. Jon North has a warmup drill that he calls tigger squats where you get down to rock bottom, pause for a few seconds, bounce a few times up to about parallel, do some duck walks, do some side to side movement, etc.. At first, you might only be able to do a slight pause. Once you get comfortable with the bar, start adding some weight.

I highly recommend the Pendlay "How To Snatch" videos on Cal Strength's YouTube channel. Those drills are the next step once you've gotten reasonably comfortable with the overhead squats.

I'm not saying that the mobility work is useless, just that the only way to get comfortable with weight overhead is to have weight overhead.