CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #1
Chad Steinwolf

Profile:
Hoping to get some help understand wrist wraps

Been lifting for a while, but recently started crossfit and shifting from hypertrophy type workouts to strength. Mid 40s and while getting stronger and maintaining (and improving) flexibility are a primary focus, more so is staying safe, protecting my joints and minimizing injury.

I've likely going to get some wrist wraps for all the heavy (...heavy for me) pressing work I'm doing but there's a lot of options and varieties out there and am hoping that a patient soul can help me out.

Do people buy and use different types/style of wraps depending on what they're working on? As an example I've read good things about Mark Bell's wraps, but since he's more of a powerlifter does that mean the materials and stiffness are more appropriate for just flat bench and overhead pressing where you're trying to minimize wrist flexion? Would they be useful for crossfit workouts? It seems a stiff wrap minimizes how much your wrist flexes so would a wrap like this make it hard when doing front squats, thrusters or HSPUs?

Are there wraps more suited for providing wrist support, while allowing it to flex a little or are they not intended for those types of movements?

Also what about when doing ring work? If I understand how a muscle up works, if you have a false grip, then your writs in in more of a flexion position before pressing up with the dip, so are their certain wraps/materials which make that range of motion more or less difficult?
Old 06-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: Hoping to get some help understand wrist wraps

I have 2 different types. One is the thicker, more rigid and the other is thinner and longer.

I wear the thicker pair for heavier barbell work. The others I wear for lighter stuff and basically as a sweat band to keep hands dry when mixing bar / pull-up / Etc work when sweating.

I can use either pair for heavier stuff but the thicker pair supports more.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Sounds like you're overthinking it. They're all just wrist support. Unless you're doing serious powerman type stuff I don't think you need anything crazy.

I used to have wrist wraps but prefer strength wraps because of how easy they are to loosen and tighten on the fly. And they're less bulky then wrist wraps which would help when on the rings.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
Chad Steinwolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Sounds like you're overthinking it. They're all just wrist support. Unless you're doing serious powerman type stuff I don't think you need anything crazy.

Bingo. I assume the strength straps are more than enough if you're lifting sub 300 lbs. Also are you referring to the Rogue ones? Are they sturdy (hold up over time)?

Switching gears for a minute, do you use them for exercises like fronts squats or hand stands? Do you just loosen them a bit to allow your wrists to flex while providing some support?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Steinwolf View Post
Bingo. I assume the strength straps are more than enough if you're lifting sub 300 lbs. Also are you referring to the Rogue ones? Are they sturdy (hold up over time)?

Switching gears for a minute, do you use them for exercises like fronts squats or hand stands? Do you just loosen them a bit to allow your wrists to flex while providing some support?
I bought mine from Rogue but they're made for Rogue from Strength Wraps: http://www.strengthwraps.com/ WFS

I've had them for like four months and use them fairly often (I have weak wrists, sprained them a lot as a kid) and they're just as good as day 1.

I don't generally use them for front squats (I see no need there) and I wouldn't put them on just for HSPUs. Mostly for snatches, jerks, presses of any kind. If I have a WOD with multiple movements I'll just quickly loosen them or tighten them while transitioning.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Easiest thing would be to exercise without them and see if you find that you really do need some wrist support. The only time I see much need for them is if I am doing a lot of overhead work and even then I would be fine without them for a workout here or there, it is when I do a lot of it that my wrists begin to get sore.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #7
Michael Cook

Profile:

I wear gymnastics-style wrist supports, like these ones:

http://www.gripsetc.com/index.php?pr...roduct_id=1216

wfs

They have a velcro strap that you can tighten to the desired support. They are easy to put on and off, and easy to loosen and tighten. I use them for any olympic lifting. I can use them for handstands and ring work too.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post

I used to have wrist wraps but prefer strength wraps because of how easy they are to loosen and tighten on the fly. And they're less bulky then wrist wraps which would help when on the rings.
When front squating 300+ I can tell a difference.
When I was cleaning 250-285 I could tell a difference.
When jerking same loads again there is a difference.

Now not bragging or saying anything bad but when you do get to heavier weights it matters. At 40 my wrist has an injury and a simple cloth one doesn't cut it at higher weights.

Is why I have two pairs. One for heavy stuff and one just for a little support and to keep the sweat off my hands for bar work.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
Richard Colon

Profile:

I'm over 40 as well and while I respect all the goodness of what I like to call "crutchy" type things, my eyes have been opened recently as I've been training with an international olympic weightlifting champ. No belts allowed during training. On anything.

Point is, if you have to consider using wraps for EVERYTHING, look into some stuff by David Durante. He comes to mind simply because he specifically had the latest video I saw on "getting wrists stronger". Do just that. Start building the strength to do what you need to do, otherwise, it never stops.

Before you know it, you'll have compression socks, wrist wraps, knee wraps, elbow sleeves, olympic shoes, rocktape and gloves while working on the C2 Rower.

I know it sounds exaggerated but it isn't as far off as you think until you switch your thoughts to "how to get this stronger" rather than "how to mask the weakness" just so you can do things that you maybe shouldn't be doing. There is a place for it yes, just like wraps on heavy snatch work, etc but it should be the exception, not the norm.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #10
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I will be 47 in a couple weeks. I am an olympic weightlifter. It's all I do. I use Strength Wraps. I put em on when I start lifting and keep em on throughout. I go through stages of not wearing them but over time my wrists get sore.

Of course some part of me pretty much hurts all the time.