CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Todd Learn

Profile:
This something that I have used for feeding during any prolonged endurance activity that I do. (Alpine climbing and ski touring.) Not sure if it would help pre or post anaerobic workout. (eg. crossfit)Take a one of those refillable squeeze tube that you get for a camping supply store to put the gel in. In a sauce pan on low heat melt 1 cup of coconut oil and 1/4 cup uf organic honey. Add 2 tablespoons of organic cocao powder and a teaspoon of cinnamon. ( Caffine from the cocao and insulin sesitivity from the cinamon.) Stir well. While still liquid pour into squeeze tube. I have used this for a while and it seems to delay fatigue. I also found this study which confirms what I have found from experience.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstra ct&list_uids=9232557&itool=iconabstr&query_hl=3
Old 07-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
Hone Watson

Profile:
Interesting mix Todd. I once tried making some coconut cream concoctions in an attempt to replicate some of the dietry habits of my neolithic polynesian ancestors. Are these ingredients really paleo though?

Maybe Pemmican could be more of a Paleo gel.

http://www.evfit.com/pemmican.htm
Old 07-06-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
Todd Learn

Profile:
I use and make my own pemmican as well. (Has anyone tried the commercial pemmican from the company "Grassland Beef"?) I use it as more of an addition to my meals though. I find during prolonged aerobic exersice that the gel is easier to digest and the MCT's in to coconut oil provide a more quickly utilizable source of energy while exerting myself. As far as being paleo I think that it is as close as any of the paleo meals I have seen described in any of the books I have read. Which portion of the gel is not paleo?
Cheers,
Todd
Old 07-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
mark twight

Profile:

Todd,

The same guys did a more recent study (2005) that appears to have contradicted the one in the link (1997):

"MCTs ingested prior to exercise and co-ingested with CHO during exercise did not alter substrate metabolism and significantly compromised sprint performance during prolonged ultra-endurance cycling exercise."

Based on my experience I would say that the consistent dietary changes favoring increased fat intake have a greater effect on endurance performance than does fat intake during effort. The 1997 study specifically mentions this.

The fact that long chain fats are not readily available (but medium chain fats are) when ingested during exercise doesn't seem to matter because ingested fats are not being put to use immediately anyway. The body is typically going after stored fats to produce energy rather than ingested fats.

That said, constantly supplying the body with fats during long term, low intensity efforts reminds the body that it is OK to be burning fat stores for energy because more fat is on the way. Cold environments tend to produce greater "psychological demand" for fats as well.

Do you consider heart rate when choosing which type of calories to eat during effort? Check out the bit about gastric emptying in the Nutrition chapter of "Extreme Alpinism". It's an important issue to respect.

Mark T.