CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Clark Petri

Profile:
Kipping chinup?

Beyond being very tall (6'8") I've struggled with pullups due to a left arm shoulder surgery five years ago (damn BJJ). With a chinup grip my left shoulder doesn't bother me whereas in a pullup grip my left shoulder...just doesn't feel right (not worth it to risk it).

So, any advice on a kipping chinup? I've seen people do it in videos and through a lot of practice I've gotten to where I can do the most chinups I've ever been able to do but I'm looking for any additional advice. Forum and youtube searches didn't yield anything.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Preston Sprimont

Profile:
Re: Kipping chinup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Petri View Post
Beyond being very tall (6'8") I've struggled with pullups due to a left arm shoulder surgery five years ago (damn BJJ). With a chinup grip my left shoulder doesn't bother me whereas in a pullup grip my left shoulder...just doesn't feel right (not worth it to risk it).

So, any advice on a kipping chinup? I've seen people do it in videos and through a lot of practice I've gotten to where I can do the most chinups I've ever been able to do but I'm looking for any additional advice. Forum and youtube searches didn't yield anything.
No clue about tricks and tips for kipping chin-ups... it's probably like any other coordinated movement--needs lots of practice. But with a bum shoulder I would avoid kipping movements all together. That's a good way to make your shoulder problem worse; and as your said, not worth it to risk it.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Michael Petersen

Profile:

Have you tried using a mixed grip? I see lots of videos of people using a mixed grip (supinated/pronated) for chest to bar pullups and they are most certainly kipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk7G2...eature=related (WFS)

Check out the guy in the white hat early in the video, he is even doing a bit of a butterfly kip.

The mixed grip should let you protect your bad shoulder while still allowing you to push awya at the top with your alternate arm.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Clark Petri

Profile:

I thought about mixed grip but was wary of a training imbalance due to only mixing one way to protect my left shoulder. You're certainly right though that mixing allows the push away which is a large part of the challenge I hit when trying kipping chinups.

Gotta keep greasing the groove...
Old 08-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Renee Lee

Profile:

never mind
Old 08-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you've got preexisting shoulder problems, you may want to pass on kipping pullups particularly since you're a bigger guy.

What are your reasons for wanting to do a lot of kipping pullups? What will they do for you that deadhang pullups can't?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Clark Petri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
What are your reasons for wanting to do a lot of kipping pullups? What will they do for you that deadhang pullups can't?
Reasons for wanting to do them: To speed up my own WOD times and since I have a gig as a trainer at a local gym I feel awkward not being able to perform what seems to be a requisite movement, even though I can teach and explain them to a certain extent despite not a being stud when it comes to them.

What can they do which deadhangs can't: A faster Fran?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Petri View Post
have a gig as a trainer at a local gym I feel awkward not being able to perform what seems to be a requisite movement,
I,too, am a trainer at my box, but REFUSE to ever do another SDHP. That move is BAD news for my shoulder and I won't even demonstrate it with PVC pipe.

A kipping pullup is not one of the 9 functional movements, SDHP however is. It's all about priorities. Is showing a kipping pullup worth blowing out your shoulder?

Last edited by Elizabeth Hall; 08-04-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Old 08-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Clark Petri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Hall View Post
Is showing a kipping pullup worth blowing out your shoulder?
Certainly not, which is why at this point I've sworn off the pullup grip. For whatever reason though, the chinup grip feels substantially better and dare I say normal (I don't know why, it just does). For that reason I was inquiring because if I can get a kipping chinup I can still demonstrate the movement to clients.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I'd say you need to reevaluate your priorities... Healthy, strong shoulders should take priority over a faster time in a workout. If you're a trainer, why don't you program workouts with less pull-ups and no kipping?