CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-30-2006, 01:18 AM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I've looked here and there on crossfit and from various Oly lift footage on the web to answer this question I ponder.
Are bent arms allowed in the snatch, ideally, if executed perfectly ? [ I guess this could change depending on many POV of the types of snatch lift ])
On CF, front page today in the slideshow caps, the woman shows definite bend of the elbow at about chest height? Watching some footage here and there shows the elbows sometimes bend at right about that level?
Is this allowed? I notice I engage a wrist flick/shift in the transition when I snatch. It's just about the same height as the elbow bend would occur. I figure it's due to the load being pulled/thrown in the snatch and while pulling with the shoulders forgetting to push the bar while pulling. Ok, that barely makes any sense.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:08 AM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Blair, the arms have to bend to allow the bar to travel up past the chest while still staying close to the body. The degree to which this is visible depends on the speed of the lifter and their technique. One of the girls that trains at our gym looks almost like she stiff arms it but it's just because she is so damn quick to get under the bar.

Try snatching with dead straight arms and a 20kg bar and all your questions will be answered!

What is not allowed is bent arms and pressing out once the bar is fixed overhead.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
Mike Burgener

Profile:
blair the arms bend only after momentum has been placed on the bar and while one pulls them selves down under the bar. the arms do not or should not bend to pull the bar up. lyn jones says: "when the arms bend, the power ends!" what he refers to here is the fact that many young lifters bend their arms while pulling the bar upwards in trying to get it higher. one can get away with that with light weight, but once the wt. gets challenging the bar will slow down....hence, "the power ends" hope this clarifies your question.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
This is an issue for me. A snatch is somewhat like a ton of high bar skills clear hip handstand, stalders, etc. These are all done straight arm. I have to really focus to allow my arms to bend on a snatch, and it's worse when there's resistance on the bar because the straight arm pull and hauling myself under the bar that way is far more natural for me. It does seem to create some circular motion in the bar which I'm sure wouldn't be a good thing with a lot of weight. I still work very light in an effort to work out technique.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I wouldn't worry about it too much, Roger. Look at Dimas snatch. He barely bends his arms if at all. His hips drive forward and his shoulders go way back and the bar comes up about a foot (or more) away from his chest. He pulls himself under with straight arms and probably hops back about 2 inches on the catch to compensate for the slight arc of the bar. Watch Dan John's avatar until your eyes bleed and you'll see it.

If you are already conditioned to keep the arms straight, you are better off than most people who bend early.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
When I do the snatch I am told I use my arms(upper body) too much when doing the lift does anyone have any tips for avoiding this?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Mike Burgener

Profile:
roger, how can you keep the bar close to your body without bending your arms? take a barbell...45 lbs and try to put it over your head without bending your arms....the bar will swing out away from your body, it has to. the only time the arms bend is when i am pulling my body down under the bar. the bar has to stay close to the body. the concept of pulling the barbell up with the arms is a problem for most people....but i will tell you that you can swing that bar and keep the arms straight with pvc pipe and maybe a regular bar...but once you get any weight of significance on the bar....you will swing and miss the barbell.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Mike Burgener

Profile:
http://mikesgym.org/gallery/galleryD...ge&imageID=175

shows what i mean
Old 05-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
Mike Burgener

Profile:
here is a world champion and this really shows it the best;

http://mikesgym.org/gallery/galleryD...ge&imageID=165
Old 05-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #10
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
Great photos, Coach B. Thank you for the links.