CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Brock vs Carwin

Who do you guys like and why? I like Carwin's power and dirty boxing style. I think that he is the first guy that will be able to handle Brocks power and I think Carwin is the better striker.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Ned Ferguson

Profile:
Re: Brock vs Carwin

Very tough choice. Carwin strikes me as a bit of a plodder. Strong and brutal but slow. Brock is very fast/explosive for his size. For that reason, I'm picking Lesnar to win by G&P.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Graeme Howland

Profile:

I'm hoping Carwin can win (puncher's chance), but I think Brock will be better on the ground and is faster, so unfortunately going with Lesnar. The 4-1 Brock hype (how people consider his record more impressive than Fedor is mind numbing) and seeing people rank him above Fedor is getting painful to endure. Even if Carwin loses I'm hoping Cain or JDS can take him.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Greg Mulligan

Profile:
Talking Re: Brock vs Carwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Howland View Post
I'm hoping Carwin can win (puncher's chance), but I think Brock will be better on the ground and is faster, so unfortunately going with Lesnar. The 4-1 Brock hype (how people consider his record more impressive than Fedor is mind numbing) and seeing people rank him above Fedor is getting painful to endure. Even if Carwin loses I'm hoping Cain or JDS can take him.
I couldn't agree more. In my opinion Lesnar is a train wreck waiting to happen. In comparison to Fedor, Lesnar shouldn't be considered an Mixed Martial Artist. I understand Fedor lost a bout with Werdum just a few days ago, but he is a fighter like no other. Without Lesnars unmatched size, he would be a nobody. If Lesnar can win another 25 international fights before losing, I will change my opinion.

I've seen Carwin fight, I am impressed. I cannot wait for the Lesnar bandwagon to tip over just as I cant wait to see Lesnars career enfold.

Fedor > Carwin > Me > You> Lesnar
Old 06-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Brock is definately more athletic and quicker than Carwin but Carwin is also smarter and more experienced. I think their strength cancels each other out. Plus Carwin's chin has been tested, Brock's hasn't. Yes Randy hit him a bit, but Randy isn't a true heavy weight. Carwin is.

Carwin is going to have to close the distance and stay in tight with lesner. Brocks got this aura of invincibility around him but I think Carwin is going to be his toughest challenge to date.

I'm picking Carwin in the second round by TKO.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mulligan View Post
I cannot wait for the Lesnar bandwagon to tip over just as I cant wait to see Lesnars career enfold.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
Shane Gibson

Profile:

I don't have a personal preference, but I am picking Carwin to take this by TKO. Due to Brock's serious bout with illness and the new diet habits that followed, he has given up some of his size. And it is not like his previous size slowed him down any, so he is giving up size and getting likely nothing in return for it performance wise. He says he is walking around at about 265 now. Carwin is much bigger than that. Brock's size advantage is gone with Carwin. Not to mention the unknown impact that Brock being hospitalized and then spending this much time out of the cage.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

Anyone saying Carwin is bigger than Brock is a fool. I don't claim to be the most hardcore UFC fan in the world but I love watching Brock beat people up and I actually enjoy his cockiness because he can back it up. Personally he would be the absolute last person I'd ever want to be locked in a steel cage with. I think it's unfair to say that without his massive size and strength that he would be a nobody. You could say the same thing about a lot of pro athletes who dominate their sport (Shaq, Dwight Howard, etc.). Lesnar in a first round TKO.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Shane Gibson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Karnick View Post
Anyone saying Carwin is bigger than Brock is a fool. I don't claim to be the most hardcore UFC fan in the world but I love watching Brock beat people up and I actually enjoy his cockiness because he can back it up. Personally he would be the absolute last person I'd ever want to be locked in a steel cage with. I think it's unfair to say that without his massive size and strength that he would be a nobody. You could say the same thing about a lot of pro athletes who dominate their sport (Shaq, Dwight Howard, etc.). Lesnar in a first round TKO.
So, you just called me a fool? Nice.

Lots of fools out there, I guess...Lesnar himself included:

"The conditioning program has paid off. Lesnar, who stands 6-foot-3, no longer walks around at more than 300 pounds. He claims to already be at the 265-pound heavyweight limit."

"A few days ago, Carwin announced that he was only 10 pounds over the weight limit -- which is normal for him."

And Carwin is 6'-2", only 1 inch shorter than Lesnar. Don't know how you describe bigger, but you might want to look it up.

WFS - http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/...ory?id=5336545
Old 06-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

Well I know that when the two are in the ring together brock will be the more physically imposing man. They may weight the same but because of how Brock is built he just appears to be bigger. I don't know how someone who doesn't know what both men weigh before hand could look at the two side by side without thinking brock was much larger.