CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Max Samuel

Profile:
Aspiring Marine--please help!

Hi All,
I've been checking out the crossfit site the past couple days and am definitely interested in starting the program. I'm in pretty good shape; can do almost 20 pullups with good form, 60 pushups without stopping (155 lbs, 9 reps bench), decent ability in squats and a mile time of a little under 7 minutes. I definitely want to get stronger but my main concern by FAR is improving long distance running times. I know that interval/intensity training goes a long way to accomplishing this but want to see my 3 mile time somewhere just over 19 minutes. Would it be possible for someone to explain how to use crossfit in tandem with crossfit endurance effectively? I've read the FAQs and all for both sites but get lost in all of the abbreviations and quick explanations. would mean a lot thanks!!
Max
Old 05-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:
Re: Aspiring Marine--please help!

If you've read the CFE site it mentions a specified time to do the CFE WOD before or after the mainpage WOD or affiliate WOD etc.

Pretty straight ahead.

Do the S&C WOD wait 6 hrs or 3 or whatever and do the CFE WOD.

Grease the groove on the cals and you'll be good to go.

I'm pretty sure there are multiple threads regarding military entrance, CFE, and any combo of both. Search a little.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Daniel Lyell

Profile:

Check out the search function of some of John McBrien's posts. He explains it extremely well.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Joshua Pierce

Profile:

Your'e already way above the minimum IST scores. Good job!
I would do as others have said and do CFE programming (CFE website has a "program" for military.)
Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

3 miles isn't long distance--marathons and half marathons are long distance. You can easily get a sub-19 minute PFT without doing any more running than you do in the CF.com workouts. I cut my PFT from 19:40 to 18:30 over a 4 month period two years ago without doing any running aside from what was on the mainpage WODs, which was rarely anything longer than 400s and 800s. Plus I got stronger on all my lifts and leaner at the same time. Start with plain CF for a while then if it's not fitting your goals adjust it by adding in some CFE.