CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Cody Reis

Profile:
Power Clean vs Hang Clean

I'm currently doing the SS program and am having a tough time w/ the power cleans. Is it normal to be able to hang clean more than power or is my form just that effed up? I'm guessing it comes from highschool when all we did was hang cleans, but it's been quite a while since I've done either before this program.

I've been having to do my last couple sets of my 5x3 as hang cleans to get them done.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Power Clean vs Hang Clean

"I've been having to do my last couple sets of my 5x3 as hang cleans to get them done"

Then you aren't doing them. Drop the weight, do the power cleans from the floor.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Well, I assume you mean you can hang clean more then you can clean from the floor. The "hang" refers to whether you are starting from the floor or hanging. The "power" refers more to whether you are going into rack at full squat or 1/4 squat/power clean. Normally, you can clean (from floor) more then you can hang clean.

I think you should work on your clean from the floor technique and not go up in weight simply by "cheating" and reverting to the hanging clean. You are not helping yourself progress to a full olympic lift by ignoring your weakness, i.e. the floor clean.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Dave Hancock

Profile:

The best thing you can do is video yourself doing the lift and review it frame by frame, and even have a knowledgeable coach critique it. Even if you think you know correct form, what you are actually doing can be drastically different.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Cody Reis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
The best thing you can do is video yourself doing the lift and review it frame by frame, and even have a knowledgeable coach critique it. Even if you think you know correct form, what you are actually doing can be drastically different.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's my form that's crap. I'll try to get a video posted.

And I agree I need to drop down, it was just my last workout I had to cheat w/ the hang cleans vs from the floor. So I'm planning to reset back a bit and move up a little slower.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Did you read the clean section in SS? Plenty of tutorial videos here on CF, and you can post your video in the digitial coaching section.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Cody Reis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Did you read the clean section in SS? Plenty of tutorial videos here on CF, and you can post your video in the digitial coaching section.
Yeah, I've read it a few times now, even once between sets

I'll try to get the wife to vid me on it so I can post. I think seeing myself doing it will help a lot.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
Dave Hancock

Profile:

One very common mistake is bending the arms before you reach full extension. Being able to step through a video frame by frame will definitely help you see this.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Usually what happens is that from the floor the lifter fails to get the bar into the same position as the hang. In other words, if a picture was taken when the bar reached mid-thigh it should be impossible to tell from whether the lift was from the floor or from the hang. When a lifter can do more from the hang than the floor, usually what you'll see on the lifts from the floor is the bar well away from the thighs, the arms have bent prematurely, and there little-to-no rebend of the knees. Often the lifter exhibits little patience to getting the bar into the proper position at mid thigh, starting the second pull entirely too early.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
Cody Reis

Profile:

Thank you for the tips everyone, I'm definitely going to get a video up as soon as I can, which will probably be early next week. Also, I usually workout at home, but I think I'm going to try and get to our local box to get some coaching. We have an Olympic lifting class that Mike Burgener's son Cody coaches so I should probably take advantage of that!