CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Aw Yong Yi Xiang

Profile:
Questions about eating the same bland foods everyday and not enjoying foods

Hi guys, i have some questions to ask. I am currently eating the same old, bland food everyday. I'm wondering if bland and non- appetizing foods will have any negative effects on my health?

Here's a rough guide of my diet:

breakfast: 4 whole, hard boiled eggs + a bowl of oatmeal

Lunch: (packed lunchbox) Microwave chicken breast + different types of veggies everyday

Teabreak: Lots of Nuts

Dinner: foods with both carbs and protein

Before bed: fruits

Ok so basically i am ''suffering'' to eat the eggs, cause i have the same hard boil eggs everytime, i just eat the whole egg without any sauce and now i'm always enduring the yucky taste while trying to eat them quickly. And also the microwaved chicken breast meal, i'm basically not enjoying my food because those chicken breast are ''tasteless'' and i have to keep chewing and chewing and chewing, i just try to gobble them down as fast as possible everytime.

The reasons i cant variefy my cooking methods to make my food nice is because 1) I have not much time, so i have to make the cooking as convienient and fast as possible in the morning. 2) i don't know much about cooking so can only use simple methods.

So, my main concerns is that will this affect my health in any way or any hormonal stuff since i'm not enjoying and ''suffering'' to eat my food and eating foods with the same cooking methods daily? I don't mind not being able to enjoy food as long as it'll not disrupt my progress.

And btw, can help me rate my diet too?

thanks alot guys
Old 05-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
John S Park

Profile:
Re: Questions about eating the same bland foods everyday and not enjoying foods

I think your diet is good and nothing wrong with eating the same thing everyday if it doesn't bother you. You should really try to mess around with other cooking methods though.

Pan frying, oven, slow cooking with a crockpot so you can quickly leave the food in the morning and come back to a nice, warm meal. You can pan fry your eggs in some oil and add some veggies/bacon or whatever you want for a good meal. I like to cook in butter and it makes my food taste better. This method would switch things up and may be even faster than waiting for the eggs to boil.

Search google for simple marinade recipes for chicken. Leave your chicken in marinade overnight and it won't be so bland.

Try different spices like salt, different peppers, herbs.

Chewing food thoroughly is important for digestion and being able to enjoy your meal without being rushed is important in my opinion.

If you are a busy person, you might want to look into intermittent fasting/feeding. Personally, I feel more alert and sociable when I fast during my early workout and at school. Then later on in the day in my free time, I'm able to settle down and have a nice big meal of whatever I want. Just an idea if you hate routine and planning.

Cooking food ahead of time, storing it in the refrigerator, and reheating may also help you.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Yong Yi Xiang View Post
The reasons i cant variefy my cooking methods to make my food nice is because 1) I have not much time, so i have to make the cooking as convienient and fast as possible in the morning. 2) i don't know much about cooking so can only use simple methods.
#1 is just an excuse, if something is important to you, you will make the time for it. Example: exercise. You make time for CF, so make time for cooking; wake up earlier. I leave the house at 7 for work, but I wake up at 6 so I have time to make eggs, veggies, or whatever I want.

#2- Learn how to cook from family, friends, internet, books, classes, etc. I am learning how to cook and am definitely spicing up my eating, making food taste much better.

I second the crockpot idea, it is the easiest way to cook. So far the first thing I tried is my favorite. I put a pork butt in on low for 8-10 hours, with a 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup masterpiece BBQ sauce (you can leave out the BBQ sauce if you want and add anything else). This starts in the morning and by the time dinner comes around, it's done cooking (internal temp of 200). It is really tender and tastes amazing because it's been marinating in its own juices for the entire day.

Your diet is healthy, but boring. I wouldn't want to eat that everyday. Variety helps keep you on track. You said progress...towards what? your goals dictate your eating style, so what are you working towards?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
Simon Pillay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Yong Yi Xiang View Post
I am currently eating the same old, bland food everyday. I'm wondering if bland and non- appetizing foods will have any negative effects on my health?
This is a great post for me because I have felt like that. (Bear in mind that I grew up eating food so spicy that you would literally sweat while you ate.) I have been eating strict 19 block zone for three months and know your pain. Here are two points that worked for me:

1. I found a great hot sauce that has no sugar and very little salt that makes repeated days of steamed veggies liveable.

2. I mass cook on one day and live off that for one or two weeks. I don't have time to cook daily (except breakfast) and take lunch to work with me.

Also, on a more contraversial note - I do partake of the odd "free day" about once a month within reason.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

The less you enjoy your food, the harder it will be to maintain your diet. If you're using words like "bland," "tasteless," and "yucky" now, how will you feel in a month or two?

If you can read, you can cook. Seriously, it's just not that hard. Get a good basic cookbook -- I like Fanny Farmer and Joy of Cooking -- and start experimenting.

As others have pointed out, you can save a lot of time by cooking in bulk on the weekends. Also, there are plenty of good things that are pretty fast. Omelets and scrambled eggs for breakfast, with veggies and cheese mixed in. Salads for lunch, with diced up chicken that you cooked on the weekend. Stir fries and crockpot things for dinner--either you do lots of chopping on the weekend and cook it all in about five minutes, or you start the crockpot when you leave for work and it's done when you get home.

Katherine
Old 06-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Aw Yong Yi Xiang

Profile:

Thanks alot guys, i'll try out those suggestions and try to add more variety to my diet. But i really need to know if it'll affect my health in any way or any hormonal stuff if i'm not enjoying my boring food everyday?

Because i really need motivation for this for the time being as i slowly experiment and change my diet. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
You said progress...towards what? your goals dictate your eating style, so what are you working towards?
I'm currently doing Starting Strength, so i guess my progress will be on strength for now.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Nathan Warren

Profile:

All that seems pretty well and good, but if you don't enjoy what you are eating, you are way more likely to fall off the diet horse. My typical advice is basically what everyone else has said. Make an investment in a variety of cooking oils and dried herbs and spices. Start with olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil. Try cooking a pound of bacon and 6 chicken breasts on a Sunday afternoon (or another day you have a free 2 hours or so) (and save your bacon fat to cook with!). Also, scrambling eggs or cooking an omelette with fresh veggies and salsa in the morning only takes about 10 minutes and is MILES more enjoyable than hardboiled eggs. Trust me.