CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-28-2004, 06:52 PM   #31
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Lynne - 40 by Sept? Whoa...I guess I have it coming for being so smart!
Old 01-28-2004, 07:06 PM   #32
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Coach,

I would like to say thanks for raising the bar so high. In most company, 20 pullups would be considered pretty good, but here it's yawnsville. It's a milestone you pass on the way to REAL accomplishment.

For the record, I try to follow Napoleon's advice that the best way to keep your word is not to give it. I teach that to my children, and I also teach them that if you use the word promise you had damn well better do it.

Having said that, I made 20 pullups one of my New Year's Resolutions, and I put a Daily Record page in my planner where I write down how many pullups I do every day. My goal currently is 300 week, in any order. I did 102 last Saturday, 145 Monday, and 5 today. That means I owe 48 before Saturday. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll up it to 350 and then 400.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:53 AM   #33
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
While not original, and I can't speak to its usual- or unusualness, I was thinking this might be the path to enlightenment.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:40 AM   #34
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Lynne,
Right on! Density training rocks! CrossFit has done some density style workouts in the past and they were brutal.

Coach,
Jordan doesn't do pullups, but he might be an exception in the gymnastics community. The elite guys I work out with don't do pullups either. One of them likes muscle-ups and the other thinks they're too easy. I guess everyone finds they're own path.
His first trip to the Olympics was 15 years ago, so he has been doing high level stuff for a long time. And he doesn't need to be good at pullups, just his routine. Personally, I was surprised that he didn't do any pullups or weighted pullups, because I think they're great. But Jordan trains only for what he competes and very little else.
Btw, I didn't tell his story to discourage people from doing pull-ups. They're a great exercise. Nor am I encouraging people to train like Jordan does. I think CrossFit is ideal for general fitness and the number of people in the 40+ club goes a long way to prove that.

Tyler
Old 01-29-2004, 06:14 AM   #35
Coach

Profile:

Hey Tyler,

I'm with you 100% and my apologies if I gave anyone the impression that your motives were to discourage anyone. Nothing could be farther from the truth about you.

My point is that Jordan wouldn't be where he is had he not mastered the pull-up (50+) early, really early, in his gymnastics career, and that his current routines have embeded within their elements moves that dwarf, contain, and require pull-up prowess.

In every endeavor we can find masters who have moved past the basics to never return. It would be a tragic miscaculation to assume that the beginners road was not taken.

Were someone to watch Jordan, record his routines, and work only those movements, they'd absolutely, positively, never in a million years, get to anything that even remotely resembled his routines. It is not possible. What I'm claiming is that pull-up mastery was prerequisite (by about twenty-five years I'm guessing) to his current status. I'd also maintain that he's two weeks out, if goaded, to matching his max pull-ups even if that were twenty years ago.

I can think of six or seven moves, right off the top of my head, on the rings that, if practiced
regularly would be vastly superior to doing pull-ups and if doable could render the pull-up less valuable for that athlete. The catch is that no man on earth has ever done these moves, or will, without developing concomitant high rep pull-up strength. And..that is the path that Jordan took whether he remembers it or not.

Your friend,

Greg
Old 01-29-2004, 06:37 AM   #36
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Lynn,

That looks like a good strategy. 33x3; 25x4; 20x5; 17x6; etc.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:55 AM   #37
Jay Swan

Profile:
This is pretty inspirational. I set a goal back in about 1997 of 20+ pullups, and I didn't achieve it until 2001, primarily I think because of training ignorance. If I'd known about CF it probably would have gone a lot faster. Now it looks like I have to try for 30...
Old 01-29-2004, 09:32 AM   #38
Chris Longley

Profile:
I'm in. This matches my current training goals nicely - seems everyone wants more pull-ups! The extra competition will help as well. Just to check - are we looking for 30 or 40 by september 1st? Not many jumped on Lynne's 40+ bandwagon, but i'm up for it!

Good luck people.

Chris
Old 01-29-2004, 09:57 AM   #39
Ralph

Profile:

Would this goal of 30+ pull ups be a supplmental workout to your WOD? ie: follow the density training routine on the off days from the WOD (This question goes out to everyone)
Old 01-29-2004, 01:31 PM   #40
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:
Damn you Coach! I was feeling reasonably good about closing in on 20. Now the bar is double that.

I'm in. 30 pullups by May 1st; 40 by September 1st. I just ran out to the garage and pulled for 17. That will be my baseline.

Brian