CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Adam Rosner

Profile:
How much damage can you really do in one day?

In terms of diet. If you live the zone/crossfit lifestyle, and one day you eat only crap, and as much of it as you can (ice cream and chocolate for breakfast, etc) would you gain weight? Would your body flush it out?

The reason I ask isn't cause I've done this, but because I used to have one free day a week and sometimes I used to just go nuts. I was wondering if you can actually gain any significant weight in just one day.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: How much damage can you really do in one day?

Been doing a full cheat day (Saturday) for the past 3 years with no ill-effects. Over time I have greatly limited my cheat days to only 1 or 2 full cheat meal (2 at most) in one day, but I still very much look forward to a day that I don't have to worry about "eating enough protein" or "counting blocks."

My training routine is 3 days on and 1 day off. Since proper nutrition is twice as important as exercise, I go 6 days on and 1 day off. For the fitness level I'm trying to achieve, this protocol suits me well.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

If you only eat ice cream and chocolate the results will most likely be in how you feel, not how much you weigh. I know if I don't get some protein or just eat lots of sugar, I feel like crap.

BUT... the ice cream alone won't do it. Matter of fact, I could probably go through a whole day eating only ice cream and be just fine. The pure sugar though would probably get to you.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Luke Rossmo

Profile:

I've been doing this too. I eat zone really strict then go on a 1/2 day junk food binge, pretty much all carbs. I've too wondered about the ill effects of this. I get headaches and feel crappy but i would like to have some scientific data to support the thesis that your body flushes it out or the alternative that your body holds on to all the carbs and converts it too fat. Also how long the food takes to get all the way through your system. Im glad im not the only one whos done this. I
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I think that a pound of fat contains 3500 calories, and assuming that we've all got raised metabolisms from CF etc. it would take quite a day to have any real impact on weight.

Digestion uses calories, as does breathing, talking, laughing (you get the idea). so chances are, that one day isn't going to cause your progress to hault. It may even help it a little as you'll be more likely to stay true to the Zone/paleo/body for life or whatever lifestyle you follow during the rest of the week.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Christopher Wood

Profile:

Hm, this past Saturday i had to weigh in at 160 lbs down from 167. Took a little doing but i got there. I decided to effectively "go nuts for doughnuts" after the competition was over and came in at 172 on Monday. I'm guessing my body compensated for a lack of carbs/food by stockpiling what it got? Either way I thought it was kind of interesting in relation to this topic. (Next time I plan to cut the weight down over a couple of weeks.)
But Normally when I take a day off from Paleo itís a Sunday and it just makes my Monday workout seem sluggish no body comp changes.