CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Joshua Linkletter

Profile:
Pre and Post work out Meals

Hey.
I have started the zone way of eating. I was wondering if I should have a pre and post work out meal. I use to have a protien shake after my work out. Should I continue to do that. Or stick with the zone, and just make sure I have a meal with in an hour or two of my work out?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Pre and Post work out Meals

pre and post workout meals are a must. Working out while having nothing in your stomach causes your performance to decrease. For pre workout meal, make sure you wait long enough for it to digest. A snack= 1 hour, a small meal= 2 hours and a big meal = 3 hours. I have an apple an hour before i workout and it really does the trick for me. As for post workout meal, have a protein shake immediately after you workout. I read an article about that but i lost the link, sorry. Then around an hour after the workout eat a meal. A number of knowledgable (?) people i know that are really involved with fitness say thats how you should do it. Just my 2cents
Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Joshua Linkletter

Profile:

Joe.
Thank you very much for your input. I will be sure to have a a light snack, and a protien shake after my work out. thanks again.

Josh
Old 10-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Preworkout meal, postworkout meal.... I think there are a number of things to worry about before these. Some people have success with fasting. The research done on meals around workouts are done on fasted subjects. The "anabolic window" associated with an intense workout is something like 12-24 hours, not 15 minutes. Don't sweet the small stuff. =)