CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Garth Reed

Profile:
Two posts in one day! The Overhead Squat WOD we had recently produced what I think was an amazing result. I have had various issues with my lower back since I was in High School (now 32) but while doing the OHS for max, my lower back gave a tremendous pop and the pain was gone. I have felt great ever since. The only soreness seemed to be from the muscles re-adjusting. The over extension was from putting up just a little too much weight. Regardless, although I feel better, I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop. Have I done more damage? Did I inadvertently fix a long standing problem? Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I have experienced something similar in my upper back, in the area between the shoulder blades. I often feel pain in that area which sometimes causes me to have a headache. I intentionally try to get that pop and usually it provides some relief. If I can get the pop "just right", which is rare, I get complete relief from the pain. I do think there could be something to what you experienced and I've often wondered if what I'm doing (and what you did) is the same thing a chiropractor would do to me. I usually bend backwards over something to "pop" my back. I've found that putting my flat-bench inside my pillars of power with the bench perpendicular to the racks provides a PERFECT platform on which to pop my back.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
You are both right about what is happening, and Garth has a valid concern. The same as you popped something back in place and it feels better you can pop something out and it will feel bad. I would advise against trying to get it to pop unless you have been trained the with the anatomy and physiology and know what you are intending to do. If you have a chronic problem of needing to pop your back, there is something wrong and you need to have a medical professional address the underlying cause.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I rarely find that my back pops in OHS, but it's a daily and before bed routine to loosen up my spine and shoulders by hanging on my bar. Downward dog sun salutes do this a bit too. Once my spine is loosened up, I'm far more interested in doing things in general than when it's tight.
Spine, torso twists, and loosening up my hips are some of the keys I find to basic daily function.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
Alex McClung

Profile:
Garth - I was recently sidelined for a few days with a very painful lower back. I've had this maybe three times in the last 15 years, so experience suggested my problem was muscular in nature, not structural. These issues have always resolved with very dramatic muscular "releases" that resulted in immediate and durable relief. When I say dramatic, I mean audible to others in the room. This sudden "pop" was not the intended outcome, it just happened.

In two of three cases I was treated by a physical therapist; the third case I was able to recognize the problem and resolve it myself. It's important to recognize and distinguish muscular problems from more complex orthopaedic problems. The previous posts urge caution, and I agree.