CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-28-2006, 04:14 AM   #1
Henry Adderley

Profile:
Hi all.
Any help/feedback would be appreciated. I have seen the ACL related posts but none of the information provided quite fits my situation.
I have had my ACL reconstructed in both knees after tearing each in seperate incidents playing rugby. Both surgeries used the patellar tendon replacement method.
The first tear was in my right knee. I went under the knife and rehabbed and was back playing about a year later with no problems.
The second tear was in my left knee. I went under the knife 16 months ago and followed the rehab to a T but to this day continue to have problems.
I had built up to running with straight sprints about six or seven months ago but then started going backward and the best I am managing to date is a jog. The knee continues to give me problems with swelling and stiffness and most of my runs start off with a limp.
The latest problem is the calf in my left leg now strains every time (this is not an exaggeration)
I run. I rest up to a point of no pain in the calf and start off slowly but it strains again.
Obviously it is very frustrating so and ideas the community might have would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance,
Henry
Old 06-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I have been mulling over this post for a while, because it kind of perplexes me. It is very common to have the exact same procedure done on both sides of the body and have very different results. There are lots of reasons for that, that I wont go into. The hard part about this one is why your calf would be straining other than the strange biomechanics created by walking/running differently due to swelling and stiffness.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Henry Adderley

Profile:
Thanks for giving it so much consideration Jerimiah. I must admit I was getting a little disillusioned after receiving no response.
I have done further research through physios I have access to here on the island and have received some feedback that perhaps you could consider.
1. I'm at the heaviest I have been in a while (220 lbs) so perhaps the calf is unable to support the weight.
2. There could be a problem in the back that is pinching a nerve or similar and causing the calf to spasm.
I am returning to the beginning of benchmarks of progression for recovery. Level 1 to be tackled tomorrow is a 45 minute walk (minimum) on an unstable surface (sand). If no pain results then move on to level two which is five minutes of jump rope trying to do as many jumps one legged as possible.
From there it is a 2 k run and if I can do on e of these runs three times with no pain then I move on up to increasing distance gradually and introducing shorter high paced runs. Historically it is on the first 2k run that my calf goes pop.
One further thought I have had is that maybe I am running in the wrong type of shoes.
Any thoughts?
Thanks again.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Your weight can have a definate effect on that, especially if it is weight that is creating work instead of doing work (fat vs muscle) in a deconditioned state or doing work its not used to doing. Pressure on the nerves, can also be part of the problem, because it leads not only to decreased control the muscle, but also deconditioning. Shoes could also be a big factor, especially if you have something extreme about your feet, either high or low archs, wide or narrow etc. All that said, I like your recovery progression, and I would love to have you get that back thing checked out, espcially your sacroilliac joint, get some good, even fitted if possible, shoes, and get real strict about your diet, whether it is zone or whatever you choose to use to keep from adding weight.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:25 AM   #5
Henry Adderley

Profile:
Latest update:
Up to progression level three so tonight there's a two k run to do - fingers crossed. I have been doing my back stretches religiously and have a chiropractor appointment next week so we'll see.
Oh yes, and I am on a diet!