CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Hey, I think it would be good if you all take a look at the Wikipedia article on CrossFit. I've been going back and forth with someone who in my estimation is being a bit of a turd, and who is unquestionably ignoring the bulk of what I'm saying in the Discussion section. I don't know if you all know this, but anybody that wants to can edit the articles, and an armchair theorist is making some fairly ignorant claims, in my view.

Of course, I'm pretty bare-knuckles myself, but I think what I'm saying makes sense, and it's annoying me severely that it's being ignored.

Tag.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
God Barry, that is a trainwreck. Have fun in there.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
Steve Shafley

Profile:
What ever happened to the crossfit wiki? Lord knows it's a lot of work. We have a P&B wiki up, but nobody's done anything with it.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
John Velandra

Profile:
Forgive my ignorance... what is a wiki?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
user edited online reference.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Russ Greene

Profile:

It seems that this guys position can be boiled down to: "Crossfit doesn't coincide with these experts theories based on research using entirely different training protocols, therefore it won't work."

This doesn't make sense. What he should do is examine the actual results of a program and then make criticisms of the programs effectiveness. You don't use theories based on entirely different research to predict a program's results.

It also doesn't make sense to criticize Crossfit's alleged lack of strength training. Crossfit is not the WOD's. Crossfit is an ideal of fitness attained by doing whatever works, regardless of idealogy or personal feuds. We do what gets the job done, not what the Almighty Glassman tells us to do based on his Unquestionable Fitness Authority, and that's exactly the way it should be.

So Crossfit doesn't do strength training correctly? Then why is my max Push Press 30 lbs. more than it was two months ago? Why did I just do sets of 5 one leg squats per leg with 50 lbs. Why can I do 8 muscleups on the rings? Why are my results far from extraordinary compared to all the other experienced Crossfitters? The experts say it shouldn't be happening and it doesn't coincide with all the popular exercise physiology theories, oh my GOD!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:57 AM   #7
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
There's a reason they don't hire the village idiot to edit Britannica (a reason you can see everyday on Wiki)...

One of the problems with what's going on over there (Wiki) is that the guy Barry's having a problem with keeps insisting that CF doesn't result in "decent" strength gains...without actually defining what "decent" is. "Decent" is an entirely subjective standard, and Wiki is supposed to be factually-oriented...not opinion-oriented.

The other issue (a corollary of the first) is that the same idiot doesn't seem to realize that CF doesn't claim to be the best protocol to increase 1RM strength. Attempting to cast aspersions about some completely subjective standard of strength ("decent") and the CF protocol's alleged inability to achieve it is akin to being critical of an F1 car for it's poor gas mileage...when "decent" gas mileage is neither something it's designed to achieve nor something it claims to achieve. The point the guy thinks he's trying to make is just totally irrelevant.

Basically, the guy is being argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative. Essentially the definition of Internet Troll. Which is why I usually stay far, far away from Wiki.

(Message edited by h2o_goalie on July 13, 2006)
Old 07-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Hahaha, where do people find the time to argue so much??
Old 07-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:
“Hahaha, where do people find the time to argue so much??”

Anthony: we are all just closet debaters just trying expressing ourselves. :lol:

“God Barry, that is a trainwreck.”

Matt: I agree with you. I have often ventured into the discussion boards myself.

Barry I agree with your points and I know what you are talking about. I get really ****ed off at some of the comments made there and I have to sometimes force myself to pull out of my self-imposed nose dive before my plane crashes and then get really ****ed off. That is one hell of a hot LZ. Talk about hostile territory.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/27108.jpg
Old 07-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
Peter Queen

Profile:
BTW John: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfit