CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
Peter Howarth

Profile:
During the 1 rep part of Push Press the other day I was going for a pr of 80kg.I got 1 x 75kg and went to the 80kg.I was so focused on getting the weight up I did it quite easy,except once there,my support structure,ie lower back seemd to not want to engage at all.So I could feel the weight driving down into my spine and compressing it. I immediately threw the weight down onto the safety rack,thus bending the bar.
Now I have a tight lower back but still able to workout.
My question is was I so focused on the lift I hadn't thought past that so the weight is ok to try again(when 100% fit) with more focus on the whole lift or was the weight simply too much and back off a bit.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Josh Reynolds

Profile:
Peter,

I had something similar happen to me when training for a power lifting meet in college. I was attempting a set of 6 with 405lbs. in the back squat and on my 4th rep my lower back muscles quit firing in the standing position. I know I was strong enough to do the set, but my back just spazzed out. I'm sure once you allow your back to recover that you will be able to do the weight soon.