CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Anyone ever use rockrings? I have a buddy who swears that they are the most awesome invention since fire. (Hes hung them in the back of a
C-130 and done holds/pullups on them during slow points in missions. How awesome is that for a workout location)

I was thinking of hanging them at work and doing pullups and holds on them. Starting off with the tops (Holding onto them like a pullup bar) and then working my way down at hangs (4,3,2 finger holds) until I get enough strength to do finger pullups.

What do you guys thing? I read on a training site that pullups with out using your whole hand is dangerous, but I can't see how if you've properly trained, streched and warmed up for it.

Thoughts?

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Metolius/idesc/Rock+ Rings/Store/MG/item/620043/N/1056 (W/F Safe)
Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Those look pretty sweet. I think I'll buy some sometime.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:08 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Scott;
Great piece of equipment, but you can tweak a tendon if not careful or warmed up. I have pair(seconds) hanging from my Pull Up bar. Their cool as when you pull up, your turned to face each other which is elbow friendly. Check out an of the Rock Climbing companies for their "training tools" you'll see some cool stuff. Buy a couple of bolt on holds (jugs) and put on raters or door hangs, along with the rock rings at work.

Jay
Old 04-17-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Jay-How would you warm up for those?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 AM   #5
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Hey Guys,

I got a pair for Sammy for her birthday. They're hanging from the Bar at CF Boston, although not too many people have ventured onto them.

I think they're good for developing sheer strength. You have to employ a ton of tension throughout your body to complete even a few three-finger deadhangs, and that tensioning translates well to the pullup bar as well as barbell work. At $40.00/pair, they won't break your wallet, and they're fun to have around.

Best,

Jon
Old 04-17-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Jason;
Warm up fingers, wrists, shoulders, try not to crimp, use open hand, check out:

http://www.trainingforclimbing.com/

Work safe, family safe.

Google finger wrist warm ups, but again, you tweak a finger tendon, you're talking 6-12 months recovery, trust me on that.

Also check out the Rock Climbing companies, they really have some cool stuff, or better yet, get to a rock gym or better yet x 2, climb outdoors.

Jay
Old 04-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Ben Nance

Profile:
I use rock rings a lot for my workouts. They're great but should be used to supplement your workout until your finger tendons are crazy strong. Even for hard climbers those things can mess up tendons if you use them too much.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Jay - Would squeezing a tennis ball be a good warmup? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Jason;
Tennis ball not bad, just slowly bending each finger backwards(hard to explain), use silly putty, crinkle up a sheet of paper into a ball, then two sheets, then three sheets, any grip device, Google Yoga, and look for wrist finger stretches. Metolius has a whole workout for the Rock rings or any of their hang boards. See:: http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/howto-trainrockring.htm
Just a static hang for 30,60 90 seconds is darn good. Lower the rings, try a muscle up, or dip, or just try to get up on them and keep arms straight, yea haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jay