CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
I was thinking of getting some rope that I could hang over a pull up bar for rope climbs. One that I could attach and detach easily.

I don't know anything about ropes.

What do I say to the guy at Home Depot or boat store or a rope store (do those exist?)?

Material? Braid style? Knots? Carabiners? Eye holes? etc.

I saw the discussion on the Xmas Eve log but I think I need specific details about the rope.

Also, should I wear gloves when I climb?
Old 12-29-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Stan,

I went to a marine rope and chain store on the tideflats in Tacoma, Washington and got 1 1/2 inch manilla rope. I had them braid an eye hook into one end for mounting and made it long enough so that a few inches of it lays on the floor. I used deck screws to screw in a 2 x 6 into two ceiling joists then screwed in big eye bolt screw into the 2 x 6. I used some D shaped gizmo with a little threaded bolt for the rope to attach the rope to the eye bolt. The rope not something you would want to make a thong out of, but it is not so rough you need gloves.

There are other softer weaves of rope you can get and one of that type was on the main page of the Cross Fit website a few days ago.

There are rope stores on the internet where you can order what you want. Google your way to one of them and you can see lots of varieties to choose from to include cargo nets.

Happy climbing

eug