CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:39 AM   #1
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
I've been bitten by the Crossfit bug. Thanks to Tony Blauer and his Personal Defense Readiness course. I'm building a 2,500 sq ft space (metal prefab), big garage door. How high do you suggest I go? 16, 18 or 20ft? What about floors? Keep them concrete and create lifting areas? We will be doing some self-defense, so I may need some mats. A friend suggested interlocking mats. Do I need to cover the whole area. Please let me know all your suggestions for the space. Things to include and things I don't need. Go wild. I want to know everything. One more question, can I put just one shower in or is that a waste (folks waiting to shower, etc)? Do I need two or more?
Thanks for a great forum and I hope to meet some of you at the January cert.
Dave MacDonald
Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
It looks like the height will be 11.5 to 10ft. I have decided to install two showers. I have read most of the threads about start-up. A lot of great info. If there is anything some of you wished was in your place, let me know. I'm trying not to forget too much. Thanks.
Dave
Old 11-30-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Dave I'm just curious what determined the height? I think 16 feet would be good to allow for rope climbs and throwing. JMO
Old 11-30-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Dave,
I'm hoping to do the same thing as you within the next yr or so. My mechanic our of all people just moved out of his place from a light industrial park setting (rent was getting too expensive) and built this huge metal prefab (it was a kit) in his backyard. Figured it would be ideal for a small X-fit facility in the luxury of your backyard. So I'm looking into the logistics of it now. Here is the site he bought the garage kit from: http://www.americanoutbackbuildings.com/buildings.htm
He told me he payed about $15K for it (electricity not included) and him and 2 other guys installed in about 10 days (dusk to dawn). Any hoot, just curious to know what you paid for your setup?
Also interested in knowing what hoops you had to jump throw with the county? How many members are you looking to accommodate? Btw, congrats on starting your own gym. Sounds exciting.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Hi Joe, Steve,
The height is becoming a challenge. I need to tie into the building under an eve. That drops the height to 11.5. I am meeting with a contractor today to explore the possibility of raising the eve/roof portion up 3 to 4 ft. The original roof is under this roof. They past owners placed a new roof on top of the old one. You can walk on top of the old roof and reach the new roof easily, so it may be possible. I'm willing to pay a couple thousand. That would give me around 15 to 16 ft.
Steve, I'm talking with US buildings (Straight wall division). They seemed pretty good. I'm not sure I'll go with them just yet. The price I got from them for a 60/40 ft building (doors and windows) was around 25 to 30 thousand. They are easy to put up. So the complete the price should be around 50 thousand. You can heat them pretty well with an infrared gas heater on the ceiling and cool it off with a large garage door and exhaust fan. Both of these will save on utilities. Using six inch insulation and skylights is also recommended. I got a lot of information from my son's gymnastics instructor. He owns a huge metal prefab building (Gymnastics center). I'm just starting the code/permit journey. They are pretty liberal here in Western North Carolina, so I should be ok. My property is zoned open/commercial. If I get a 75,000.00 loan, I should be able to cover my building cost and buy some equipment. My payments should be much lower then rent. I'm willing to take a risk. I believe in Blauer's material and I believe in Crossfit's culture. My community really needs both. I just have to deliver the information correctly. I’ll keep posting my progress. Good luck.
Dave MacDonald
Old 11-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
I just talked witht the contractor. Looks like we can increase the height by 4 ft. It will cost around $1,600.00. That will give me around 16 ft and decrease to around 14 ft. I'm glad the past owners put a new roof directly on the old one. That made it easy.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
I may not have been very clear about this. I am adding an addition to my wife's Chiropractic office/building. Most of the infrastructure is in place. Phone, internet, water, etc.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Very nice, good luck to you!

A 10' ceiling is limiting, but workable. Rope climbs are out of the question, wall ball is a little tricky, and most people have to duck their heads on muscle ups.

9' ceilings and less are a real pain.