CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-27-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
Alicia Michel

Profile:
There was a thread some time ago filled with people on the MD/AD. I thought it'd be interesting to see how every who is/was on it is doing now :-)
Old 02-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Alicia, I was a part of that original thread, but I found it hard to stick with on a busy schedule without feeling like I was missing a lot of good food. Your main source of carbs will be leafy greens, and they have a convenience rating of somewhere around -1 :p

That being said, I have tweaked it a bit and am eating a moderate (but lower than Zone ratio) carbohydrate diet with similar carb loads. On training days I do the pre/post workout carb thing after my first workout, then stick with veggies for the rest of the day to keep total carbs under 100g. On rest days I'm clocking in around 30-50g. Occasional carb-load weekend, though I don't usually need it with the pre/post workout spike.

I'll update after following this consistently for a bit longer, but so far it seems to fit all of criteria for a nutritional plan.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Thanks for your post Jesse. I started the thread because I'm on the AD now and was wondering if anyone found it beneficial enough to stick with it.

Yeah I know what you mean about leafy greens being a hassle!

How has your performance been after raising carbs a little, compared to when you were doing 30g on the AD? And are you still getting most of your cals from fat?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
My daily breakdown in blocks is as follows:

20-22 blocks protein
6-10 blocks carbohydrate
72 blocks fat

So yes, fat is still a HUGE part of my diet! I've found that I'm able to push harder in conditioning workouts with the addition of the pre/post workout carb-spike, and at the moment that is an important part of my training. When I cycle back to a max-strength/power/hypertrophy phase, I'll probably cut back on that, or utilize the spike every other day, during three workouts/week.

The most beneficial part of the entire AD experience for me was realizing that even Zone levels of carbohydrates aren't absolutely necessary for my activity level, which was definitely an eye-opener. I remember originally trying the Zone and thinking that I'd totally crash on Zone ratios...turns out I was dead wrong.