CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #1
Magnus Ådegren

Profile:
Converting basketball hall/floor to box.

Hi!

I have been running my box for little over a year and are now going to convert the basketball hall we have used to a full on box. The problem is the floor is a wooden floor and I Wonder if there is anyway of reinforcing it so that you can drop weights on it? Is 2 layers of playwood with mats on it enough? Or do you Think it will break anyway? I appreciate all tips and help.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:
Re: Converting basketball hall/floor to box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Ådegren View Post
Hi!

I have been running my box for little over a year and are now going to convert the basketball hall we have used to a full on box. The problem is the floor is a wooden floor and I Wonder if there is anyway of reinforcing it so that you can drop weights on it? Is 2 layers of playwood with mats on it enough? Or do you Think it will break anyway? I appreciate all tips and help.
Hi Magnus,

My box is also in a basketball gym. the floor is the typical wooden floor, raised above the cement floor below it. we have access under the floor and from what I can see, the floor is sitting steel posts. keep in mind, the floor was made to hold hundreds of people, so I don't think you have to worry about it holding up a lot of weight. we have 4 lifting platforms (and jerk blocks) that we use to drop heavy weights. we have dropped up to 400 LBS on the gym floor, without platforms, and so far (knock on wood) haven't had any problems. we try to restrict heavy drops to the platforms, but it isn't always possible. I would recommend building a few platforms and using at least 3/4" rubber matting on them. good luck.