CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Chris Jurica

Profile:
Jump Rope

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on the type of rope used for double unders.

Using a rope with bearings and a high end cable eases double unders, allowing you to spin faster with less effort. Is it not safe to say that doing double unders with this type of rope would almost be the same as singles, if your not really putting forth anymore effort in the spin or jumping slightly higher because of the high end rope?

I comfortable with doing double unders with a cheap $10 rope and when I've used a more expensive one it seems to be much easier once I get acustomed to the spin. Are you getting the same workout as you would with a rope that requires a little more effort on your end?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Kristoffer Lacson

Profile:
Re: Jump Rope

I'm still getting the same workoutin my opinion. However, the coordination is a little tougher because the rope has less weight so it feels like there is nothing there which causes me to let the rope lose tension. For me it takes much more concentration to keep the rope moving and get my feet up and over every time.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

A heavier rope will require more work. I would say it is a good for training singles or doubles. I wouldn't recommend going straight to a weighted rope for double unders...get very fluent with doubles before you switch to a weighted rope. It is a great training tool to train more endurance on doubles.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Depends what you want to build endurance in, too. A heavier rope or a rope with heavier handles will require more muscular endurance in the shoulders and wrist, whereas a lighter rope will tend to limit you cardiovascularly (i.e. you'll get really winded before your wrists or shoulders give out on you).
Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

If you're doing slow DU's then I suppose there not much harder than doing singles but if you're pushing yourself, doing DU's at a higher speed is much more difficult in my opinion than doing singles. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a decent rope. The Ultra Speed Cable ropes are $12 (what I use) and they are a huge step up from cheap-o heavier ropes.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Molly Metz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jurica View Post
I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on the type of rope used for double unders.

Using a rope with bearings and a high end cable eases double unders, allowing you to spin faster with less effort. Is it not safe to say that doing double unders with this type of rope would almost be the same as singles, if your not really putting forth anymore effort in the spin or jumping slightly higher because of the high end rope?

I comfortable with doing double unders with a cheap $10 rope and when I've used a more expensive one it seems to be much easier once I get acustomed to the spin. Are you getting the same workout as you would with a rope that requires a little more effort on your end?

We use the beaded ropes (accompanied by the jumpNrope handles) for some of our wods now at the gym. It provides the athlete with a much more difficult workout, using more strenght than technique.. however I am a big beleiver in warming up/wearing down the strength part of the double under prior to a wod. Warming up with the beaded rope then using the pvc trainer or coated jnr rope is ideal. Handle technology stays the same through each of these ropes.... I used the trainer for 12.4, 90 unbroken doubles in just 35 seconds... love the trainer rope.