CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Steve Loeding

Profile:
Is the class model on it's way out ?

Interesting post about a CrossFit gym charging $40 / month for unlimited access and no classtimes.

Is this the future ? It seems as though the charging of $100+ for classes doesn't appeal to as many as the free access anytime.

My opinion is that there are many people who can come in, do the work safely and don't need the group aspect. There are others who still need to work on fundamentals 2-3 months after their initial fundamentals / beginner classes. And others love the group dynamic.

Does anyone know of CrossFit affiliates that have group programming and free time for others (open gym model ?) and how does it work for them ?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Eric J Leon

Profile:
Re: Is the class model on it's way out ?

I know many gyms have open gym times for members to work on skills/do there own WODs.

I don't think I've noticed anything that would indicate a trend towards having CF gyms open like a traditional gym without classes.

The group setting and good coaching are at the heart of an affiliates strengths.

If anything I've noticed more gyms realizing they can charge $200+ a month for their services and still see their membership grow. Good coaching is worth much more than just access to equipment.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Eric J Leon

Profile:

I may stand corrected...

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=71721 (WFS)

I just saw that thread. My theory might be that the opinions of this board are far different from the general population. Most people have no idea how to even air squat let alone do Oly lifts.

In comparison I'm sure there are large percentage of members on this board who have trained solo and self-taught themselves the lifts. Two different populations.

My $.02
Old 11-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i don't think it is, nor should it be, an "either / or" but rather it's a "both / and" type of scenario. there is plenty of room to have coaching and group workouts along with the ability for individuals to have independence based on their ability, schedules, and goals.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

My box owner was talking about this too.

Some of us want to come in and do skill work, etc apart from the globe side of the gym.

Issue you run into is how to pay trainers when classes lose some members who start doing WODs solo.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
My box owner was talking about this too.

Some of us want to come in and do skill work, etc apart from the globe side of the gym.

Issue you run into is how to pay trainers when classes lose some members who start doing WODs solo.

That's only an issue if you pay trainers based on how many members on in each class. We have some open gym time, 3-4hrs/wk for members to utilize if they want. It's only open to members.

You need to understand that the people on these boards make a less than 1% of the population that do CrossFit, and there's hundreds of millions of people would choose otherwise. I wouldn't change how our affiliate is run based on the 25 people on here that would pay me $40 for access. As a business owner, I'd rather the 1 person paying $160/mon than the 4 guys wanting to come in every month, mind their own business and do their own thing.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I agree with Andrew that it's a both/and situation.

As I have said before, if you can't accommodate members who want to do something other than the daily WOD, they'll go elsewhere. As a box matures, I would expect more and more members to fit that description.

At the same time, the supply of people who need/want lots of personal attention is effectively infinite. Don't view people who "graduate" from your classes as lost revenue, think of them as advertisements for the effectiveness of your coaching.

Katherine
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Brian Kellogg

Profile:

I don't think the class model is going anywhere anytime soon. It goes without saying that a big part of the success of Crossfit is the camaraderie and the coaching you get from talking classes.

At my box there have been a number of people who have come in and worked out in a group setting but have had to stop due to time constraints, money constraints or those in my current situation, who are medically restricted from doing a large part of the exercises in a standard WOD. In almost all cases, we would work out with the class if we had our druthers, and as soon as we free up our schedules, get a little bit extra money or are cleared by our doctor we're back to class in full force. In the meantime, we do what we can do at home, in globo gyms and such. Having an open place to work out that is geared to Crossfit would be a sell and would keep us in the door in the meantime that we are unable to participate in the group classes. Doing Crossfit alone is better than none at all but clearly something's missing from the equation.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

From an owners point of view the real question is how to price it.

I'm real estate hunting right now. If I get enough square feet then this becomes an option.

I think people are under pricing it at $40 a month. I have seen some poorly outfitted gyms and this may be who is charging $40.

As much as there is an old tradition for saving money and building home equipment, I like my good stuff a lot better.

Here in Phoenix you are not getting access to Oly platforms, bumper plates and good bars for less then $100 a month.

Again there will be high end and low end CrossFit gyms. Low end gyms will be forced to compete on price. If LA Fitness, Golds and the other globos decide to add a couple of Oly platforms then the $40 a month open model gets crushed.

Great gyms with profitable business models will survive and prosper. This could be open or closed, expensive or cheap.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
Darren Ellis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
I wouldn't change how our affiliate is run based on the 25 people on here that would pay me $40 for access.
What Brian said..........

Exactly right.