CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Ryan Scott

Profile:
Games and conspiracy theories

All,

I have been reading the forums and it is interesting to see that some people think that some of the events or scoring is skewed to help the athletes that CF HQ wants to win.

I totally understand the need to keep everything a secret before the games so that athletes and teams can't do specific training for the events

but

Would it be worth it to have CF put together all the rules and events, and then file them before the games with a lawyer so that if anyone ever had any questions it would be right there in writing?

Just an idea.
Ryan
Old 07-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Gaines DuVall

Profile:
Re: Games and conspiracy theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
All,

I have been reading the forums and it is interesting to see that some people think that some of the events or scoring is skewed to help the athletes that CF HQ wants to win.

I totally understand the need to keep everything a secret before the games so that athletes and teams can't do specific training for the events

but

Would it be worth it to have CF put together all the rules and events, and then file them before the games with a lawyer so that if anyone ever had any questions it would be right there in writing?

Just an idea.
Ryan
That would make sense.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Peter Nelson

Profile:

usually a security or auditing firm is who you file that with, but that would work too. If they want to use me though I'll do it, I'm an IP lawyer that can do trade secret work!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

well, obviously they mostly knew what was going to be going on well ahead of time because rogue had to show up and set up all the equipment. they didn't just build those monster cages, pullup stands, have the right number of boxes, bars, stationary bikes, etc by accident. i suppose they could change some things at last minute, but i am guessing there were many people that knew ahead of time the workouts and were sworn to secret.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
well, obviously they mostly knew what was going to be going on well ahead of time because rogue had to show up and set up all the equipment. they didn't just build those monster cages, pullup stands, have the right number of boxes, bars, stationary bikes, etc by accident. i suppose they could change some things at last minute, but i am guessing there were many people that knew ahead of time the workouts and were sworn to secret.
Knowing the equipment list doesn't necessarily tell you much about the workouts. It's a pretty safe assumption that the Crossfit Games will have pullups, for instance, but that doesn't tell you whether to expect Fran, a max weighted pullup test, or both. Likewise there are all kinds of things you can do with a barbell and a power cage.

If you want to worry about conspiracy theories, I'd look at the consistency (or lack of it) of the judging first.

Katherine
Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If you want to worry about conspiracy theories, I'd look at the consistency (or lack of it) of the judging first.
We can start with the final workout - am I the only person who noticed they made the women start from a standing position behind the rower but the men started on the rower?

:stir:

My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Benjamin Skott

Profile:

I've seen others mention this theory, but the evidence is slim. What events were biased towards Annie T. over Kristan? Not the softball throw, where I would expect an American girl to do better than a European. Not the sled push, because Annie S. showed us that smaller women are not disadvantaged in that one. Not the monkey bars, the results of which don't show any particular bias towards body types....

So what events do you think are part of this conspiracy, and what evidence do you have that the event actually did favor one person over another?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Standel View Post
We can start with the final workout - am I the only person who noticed they made the women start from a standing position behind the rower but the men started on the rower?

:stir:

Well since there is no competition there it hardly matters.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Shane Jensen

Profile:

I was going to say, unless we're comparing men v. women for our own amusement the differential there was meaningless.