CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Ryan Pye

Profile:
Starting to about affiliating out in Conyers/Covington (East ATL burbs)

For the ATLians, do you think there is a market out this way for it? I live in Covington but feel like a place in Conyers may work better (draw from there, Covington, and maybe Loganville and Grayson).

There isn't an affiliate within 25 miles of me in any direction and all of those are at least 35-45 minute commutes. Does it sound like something I should even begin to pursue?

Agápē!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Starting to about affiliating out in Conyers/Covington (East ATL burbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Pye View Post
For the ATLians, do you think there is a market out this way for it? I live in Covington but feel like a place in Conyers may work better (draw from there, Covington, and maybe Loganville and Grayson).

There isn't an affiliate within 25 miles of me in any direction and all of those are at least 35-45 minute commutes. Does it sound like something I should even begin to pursue?

Agápē!

IMO, you're not asking the right people. A group of strangers knowing little to nothing about demographics, and more importantly YOU...should not be where you start your questions.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Ryan Pye

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
IMO, you're not asking the right people. A group of strangers knowing little to nothing about demographics, and more importantly YOU...should not be where you start your questions.
I agree. And it isn't where I am starting but I figured there would be enough people here to know the area. I guess I figured it was worth asking here in addition to what I am doing locally.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
Keefa Earls

Profile:

Regardless where you are you will need to create a market. We are in snellville. I am more than happy to chat with you about it. In my opinion and it's been stated before boxes opening with 30 or more clients is not the norm. Most of us have to pound the pavement and build up the interest. And the mere affiliation with HQ does not pay off right away.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Christi Palencia

Profile:

Selfishly, I would love it if you started a box in Conyers. I spend a good chunk of my summer in Conyers and it would be nice to have a facility to workout.

christi
Williamsburg , VA
Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
Jason Parham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Pye View Post

Agápē!
I'll tell you, I had the same idea. I don't however believe that the conyers/covington community as a whole will support a crossfit box. Covington is/was #20 on the hardest hit by the foreclosure crisis. On top of that I can tell you that from my kids experience as a server in Covington vs Kennesaw that the make-up of people in the southeast of the city is totally different. I could however be wrong, but i'm not willing to gamble with the food in my kids mouths.
With that being said, I just moved to Canton and im in the process of ordering about 8k worth of gear from Rogue to start my own garage gym. I'm signed up for the level 1 class that Atlanta is having in May and we'll see how things go from there. In any case good luck with your endeavers.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Wes Taylor

Profile:

There are two folks in Conyers lookin to join a box closer than Decatur. We have two kids at the Decatur and another set of kids and grandkids at Troy PracticeCrossfit.