CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Edgar Gomez

Profile:
Help with programming.

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Im joining the army on November 19.

I just passed my Basic army fitness test today, 2.4km run in 10:15 (the pass is within 10:30) 30 push ups, 70 quarter situps which is easy enough to do. But I sucked hard on the run.

Im m29 | 70kg |180 cm |BS 95kg , DL 120kg, shoulder press 45kg x 5, on the first set, but fail in the 2nd and 3rd set.

I am currently doing an old template from Rippetoe. but I sub the metcons for a run. I am still a Novice weightlifter and Im still gaining strength slowly.

Monday
Front squat: 5 reps x 3 sets
Press 5 x 3
Alternating weekly strict chin up/pull ups 3 sets to failure, im now up to 12 strict PU, and 13 chins. on the first set, once I reach 15 im putting on weights then keep doing it till I hit 15 etch.

Tuesday
Powercleans 3 reps x 5 sets at the moment im doing 55kg hang cleans, im back to power cleans next week starting at 60kg.

followed by a 2.4 km run at the tracks.

Wednesday
REST

Thursday
Front squat: 5 reps x 3 sets
but next week ill be back to doing my back squats.
Dumbbell bench press 5 x 3 (currently my bench sucks, thats why i need to do them, coz it will help my pushups numbers, im DB benching 22kg, i go up 1 to 2 kg every week)

Friday
DEADLIFTS 5 reps x 1 set only. last week I done them at 95kg x 5 reps x 1 set only. (then i went silly and done some seated rows !one time occasion only!)

crossfit metcon.

Saturday and Sunday
REST

------------------------------------

my concerns are my runs predominantly, Im thinking of adding an extra 30 min easy run on saturday or sunday only to improve my aerobic threshold

and do 400m x 4 intervals on Monday (or should i do more?), and alternate between 2.4 km run/crossfit metcon on thursday? so that im always trying to decrease my time on the 2.4km run?

Im doing front squats Monday and back squats Thursday, instead of Front squats or back squats 2 x a week.

Im also thinking of adding 3 sets of dips to failure on Thursday after my squats and bench, and increasing weight when i hit 15 reps?

Ive only got 2 months, so any help, advice and critique will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edgar

Last edited by Edgar Gomez : 09-24-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
hugh driscoll

Profile:
Re: Help with programming.

If I understand your goal correctly, you want to improve your run time over the course of the next two months. If that is the case, I think you should increase the frequency and intensity of your runs and scale back your strength work.

Perhaps three quality run sessions and just two strength sessions per week.

Eight weeks of work is enough time to see improvement.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Search. THere are tons of thread on armed services prep.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Gomez View Post

my concerns are my runs predominantly, Im thinking of adding an extra 30 min easy run on saturday or sunday only to improve my aerobic threshold

and do 400m x 4 intervals on Monday (or should i do more?), and alternate between 2.4 km run/crossfit metcon on thursday? so that im always trying to decrease my time on the 2.4km run?

Im doing front squats Monday and back squats Thursday, instead of Front squats or back squats 2 x a week.

Im also thinking of adding 3 sets of dips to failure on Thursday after my squats and bench, and increasing weight when i hit 15 reps?

Ive only got 2 months, so any help, advice and critique will be appreciated.

first i would keep the strength work. its a pretty simple program & i doubt it will impede your endurance gains.

a suggestion would be to have atleast 1 day a week be back squats & on the other you could alternate over head squats, front squats, box squats, etc.... you should also stick with barbell bench press over the dumbells & dips would be great assitance work on thursdays.

my other suggestion would be to do alot more running. on mondays you could do sprint work and/or hill repeats & on thursday you could do various interval workouts that you see on crossfit endurance (WFS) Then i would suggest that you alternate long distance runs & long distance biking on the weekend. this will help with the overuse injuries that are easy to obtain running by keeping the mileage low with interval training & biking directly translates into leg conditioning that helps on the runs.

on tuesdays & fridays do metcons after your strength work.

if your body feels good every other week you might want to try a long metcon on saturdays with a long bike/run on sundays.

good luck!
Old 09-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Edgar Gomez

Profile:

sweet. thanks for that. yeah I taught the strength component might be okay. so the plan is solid, cheers again.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
hugh driscoll

Profile:

Edgar, do you want to get faster or just hold what you have?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Edgar Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh driscoll View Post
Edgar, do you want to get faster or just hold what you have?

hey

faster would be nice and increase my lung efficiency so i dont gas out, but since I am a novice lifter, I still want to gain some strength...I know im being greedy, but my strength has still lots of room for improvement. and i think the 2 running days and 2 strength days will fit the bill,....
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
hugh driscoll

Profile:

I don't think your program is bad, I just think that you can't expect to improve your distance running significantly if you are doing a linear strength progression like wichita falls or similar. Since you already have passing marks, your program may serve you perfectly so that you ace your test. Two strength days + two running days will keep you fit and strong. The variables are how hard you hit each component (your priorities) and, of course, how well you recover.

I would propose that maintenance of some areas (conditioning, endurance) with solid gains in another (strength) is pretty reasonable. If you recover well, perhaps you can improve more without blowing up.

cheers