CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Big buy looking to change body comp

Well due to my pec tear, i'm not doing any chest dominant exercises, and have switched over to WS4B, instead of doing bench type exercises, I'm using OHP.

My thing is, i'd like to possibly lean out while trying to stay around the same weight, so i'm guessing a body comp change would be the best way to describe this, as opposed to just losing weight.

I've checked out Zone which is talked about a lot on here, but the quantities seem to be soooooo little, that I think i'd end up losing a TON of weight, lots of it being muscle, as well as the proteing content being way to low.

I know from personal experience, if i cut out a lot of carbs and replace with protein and fats, it tends to help me a lot, i get kinda chunky off carbs lol

so my question would be what would someone recommend for someone like me, aka not a crossfitter per se (definitely not a 160lbs dude) who'd like to change body comp, and not lose size, while upping strength, and getting 300-400g protein a day.

Just a note, i'm in the military so meals between breakfast/lunch and lunc/supper need to be quick and easy to eat, during a 10-15min break.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Jason Peacock

Profile:
Re: Big buy looking to change body comp

"I know from personal experience, if i cut out a lot of carbs and replace with protein and fats, it tends to help me a lot, i get kinda chunky off carbs lol"

You've just described the paleo diet

Seriously, just cut the carbs - keep eating all the meat, fat, and veggies, but drop the bread/pasta/rice/potatoes/sugar/fruit (incl. juice).

It did wonders for me, I wasn't seeing much progress until I went super-low-carb and then suddenly started leaning out!

The best part is you can keep the protein levels high since you're basically living on meat alone.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Eating 90% meat doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Wouldn't you need some vegetables to you know......get things moving.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Meghan Reid

Profile:

You can eat a ton of vegetables and not take in a lot of carbs. If that's the plan that Drew is looking at following. A bag of spinach is nil in way of carbs or calories really, same with most leafy greans. I'm consciously trying to hit a good number of carbs right now without taking in grains and processed stuff like bread, and it's difficult unless I consciously add in sweet potatos or root vegetables.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

but by cutting out the carbs i do eat, im going to have to up everything else to make up for the lack of calories no? otherwise my weight will come plummetting down (i'm not really looking at going below 200)

and i dont think people would consider my diet paleo, since I ingest protein powder.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Paleo is just a word. I would focus more on clean eating - meats veggies fruits nuts/seeds (fat) etc. And yes, taking out processed carbs will bring your calories down pretty significantly depending on how much they factor in your diet now.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

This might sound weird, but could someone throw out like a sample of how they would put this together in a day and how many calories I should be hitting.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Ben Kissam

Profile:

Don't think about it as "what you should be eating" because that puts a label on it and will make you feel like crap mentally when you finally eat something "bad".

Think about it as such: Lean meats, veggies, fruit, some nuts and other good fat are the only healthy things for me. Anything else I put into my body is considered something else (I wouldn't call it unhealthy, because things like whey powder aren't bad for you, they just aren't paleo) and should be used sparingly. My goal is to lean out, so although I won't eat NO fruit, I will not eat 6 apples a day, and will focus more on berries and such for my fruit intake, as they have a low GI and lots of great stuff in them.

As for calories, eat when your hungry, and when you aren't don't eat. Calories are only important for people who are trying to gain mass. I would say for the first 2 weeks at least eat as much as you want, literally, but make sure it's all clean food. You will probably notice a difference in body comp just from that. Once you reach that stage, then start to fool around with calories if you want to tweak it. I think making it past the first 2 weeks clean is the most important step, and calories shouldn't really be considered. Honestly, I don't think I could've made it through the carb crash I got when I first began paleo if I was also counting calories.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

That's just it I don't use protein sparingly...outof the 300-400g I take, 100g of protein comes from powder in the shape of 2 shakes.

I'm not trying to be a smart *** with this next comment, but not watching calories might work for you, but you are also a lot smaller then I am, at 6ft tall and 180, whereas i'm 5'9 220, and as previously stated i'm really not wanting to drop lower then 200-198.

I understand the whole meats, veggies and nuts thing, but I cant really whip out a 10oz steak on a 10min break and expect to pound that suck back, realistically speaking.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
That's just it I don't use protein sparingly...outof the 300-400g I take, 100g of protein comes from powder in the shape of 2 shakes.

I'm not trying to be a smart *** with this next comment, but not watching calories might work for you, but you are also a lot smaller then I am, at 6ft tall and 180, whereas i'm 5'9 220, and as previously stated i'm really not wanting to drop lower then 200-198.

I understand the whole meats, veggies and nuts thing, but I cant really whip out a 10oz steak on a 10min break and expect to pound that suck back, realistically speaking.
That's a lot of protein, even for a guy who weighs 220. I'd cut the shakes back to one strictly for post workout, and on the days you don't WOD, use it as a meal replacement. What do you usually eat in a day? Because you might be eating WAY too much if you're eating about 1200-1600 calories in protein alone, not including the carbs or fat you intake.

Last edited by Jakob Schmidt : 08-22-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Typo...