CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-19-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Matt K

Profile:  
Hi everyone, I recently stumbled across CrossFit while searching for gymnastics info. I downloaded the free CFJ issue and I have to personally say this is the best "fitness philosophy" I have ever come across, at least I think it's the best for my interests.

I don't have a physically demanding job anymore (it's still blue-collar but it's not as demanding as my previous military job). Having stated this, my fitness goal is to remain physically young, flexible, strong and basically capable to attempt just about any physical activity I wish to endeavor -which is why I really like the CrossFit exercise philosophy because it seeks to cover a broad range of physical movements as well as incorporating enough day-to-day variety to prevent boredom which almost inevitably leads to quitting.

Anyway, I've been practicing various bodyweight exercises for months now and have daily access to a pull-up bar and parallel bars for dips. I also have rigged up web slings (with tube handles) which I loop around my pull-up bar to use for body rows. I figure I can substitute this exercise for rowing but I have some questions about some of the other WOD exercises.

Can anyone recommend any substitutes for the O-Lifts until I can eventually get the necessary equipment. (I do have an adjustable set of dumbells...) I can run, I think I've figured out a way to substiture rowing, and I'm working on getting a bike here soon. I'm also trying to figure out a way to rig up a set of PowerRings somewhere here at my apartment...

I'd appreciate any exercise-substitute suggestions for the O-lifts, swimmimg, and anything else I may not have covered so I can start practicing the WOD exercises sooner than later.

Thanks for any help!
Matt K :happy:
Old 05-19-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Hello Matt, and welcome to CrossFit!

Most of us love it (and/or occasionally hate it, but we keep coming back).

At the top of the message board, there is a pretty good search functionality . . . try putting the words "substitution" or "alternative" into that and you should get a ton of prior discussions about exercise alternatives (finding an alternative to rowing is a common problem).

Unfortunately, there's no real good alternative that will do for the O-lifts (nothing really compares) . . . but the dumbbell versions of them may come close. If your DBs can be loaded up to 55-65-75 lbs or more, you can do very good one-arm snatches, etc., and give yourself a heck of a workout . . .

Old 05-24-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Matt,

You can go pretty far on the O-lifts with a cheapo barbell set that mounts 110 LBs or so. Then go scrapping around for more plates. Most of the O lift WODs require about 95 LBs, with the "go heavy" days being the exception.

I used to always go to the gym when the WOD called for O lifts, but now keep finding myself staying at home and doing the workout in the garage with my barbell set I bought for $15 at a yard sale. Pounds is Pounds...
Old 06-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
Parth Shah

Profile:
$15 barbellset! Wow, how much weight? I need to start collecting stuff.