CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-03-2004, 05:01 AM   #1
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Hi all! I am so glad I found this sight!
I'm stuck behind a desk much of my work day, just kinda watching my body turn to mush. At least that's how I was about six months ago. I'm in somewhat better shape now.
I started with the Atkins diet, lost about twenty pounds just doing that. Then I realized just being thinner don't hack it, so I dusted off my weights and my old 10 speed bicycle and started pumping.
I used to work out all the time, but then I got married to a fantastic cook about twelve years ago and its been down hill ever since.
Equipment wise I have about the same stuff as Mike Barryhill. Except I don't have a heavy bag. For that I have a boat cushion lashed around a three inch Hickory sapling in the woods behind my house. Works pretty good except the cushion isn't going to last much longer.
And like Mike, at this point, I can barely squeeze out one pathetic pullup. So I'm going to hang a piece of pipe from a couple more trees and use that. I'm also working on the med ball.
I'm fortunate to live in a house with a couple thousand acres of woods behind it with steep hills and game trails that I like to run. Another exercise I've been doing is running down to the creek bed, filling a rucksack with rocks and running it back up. That's the one that makes me puke. Then I use the rocks for my landscaping.
Anyway, I'll have lots of questions, but right now I gotta go do the work thing.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Donald-

Welcome! It seems you are off to a fantastic start. Functional movements, performed at high intensity with constant variation. You're doing it!
Robb
Old 06-03-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Thanks for the welcome Robb!
I only have one question for now.
Even when I was working out before, I could never get a decent answer for this.
When you reach a new plateau, and or increase your sets, then you get the accompanying muscle soreness, do you guys ease up on those muscles til their not sore anymore? Or do you just work through it anyway?
I just went to four sets of squats from three the other day and my thighs and glutes are still sore, but I had planned on riding my bike tonight. Is that OK, or should I give my butt a rest? I'm not so sore that it would kill me and I know the pain will disappear once I start pumping, but would I just be tearing up what my muscles are trying to build?
Old 06-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
George Koupatadze

Profile:
Welcome, Donald!
I am in Arlington Heights, IL. There is a few of us from IL here( 2 or 3) Where is Grafton?
You found the right place. When I found this site a few months ago, I got instantly hooked. I modify the workouts a lot for lack of equipment but stick to the general guidelines. Still, it works wonders for me. Good luck in your training!
Old 06-03-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Donald-

An easy bike ride might be restorative. In the beginning it is important to take it easy on some days and really allow for recovery.

Soreness should decrease after you adapt to the program.
Robb
Old 06-04-2004, 04:39 AM   #6
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Thanks Robb. I ended up just working out on my heavy bag/tree for some cardio. I had to work late, but I couldn't make it a total loss last night.
And I have been doing squats and I thought my legs were in better shape than they are but they got sore anyway.
Hi George! Arlington Heights is up by Chicago isn't it? Grafton is down south by St Louis Mo.
I love this place. With all of the woods and bike trails, and Pierre Marquette state park, I have absolutely no excuse to be running around with a flabby gut.
I hope this site owner doesn't mind me posting a link to his site, but it shows a couple good shots of my 'hood:
http://www.riverbend2000.com/riverro...urgraphics.htm
If you scroll down and see the pic with the lighthouse next to some bluffs, I live up in those bluffs a little farther up the road. Great hiking, and lotsa critters.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:00 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Donald, I live by Chicago also. Beautiful country down there. With all of those trees you should get a climbing rope and a pair of power rings. Read as many arcived posts as you can and buy the Crossfit Journal. Lots of information in past posts on recovery, diet, contrast showers, massage, and extra light workouts all help.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:48 AM   #8
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Hi Larry, I have been looking for just the right pair of trees to hang some rings from, but it's surprising to discover that finding just the right ones ain't easy. I did find a couple that have forks at the right height, but I'll have to lash a 4x4 up there and hang the ropes from that. I also need some dip bars but that should be
easier.
Contrast showers, massage? Now this is sounding a lot more like fun!