CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Ken Zupkow

Profile:
Frustrated Need Help

I'm deployed and a buddy of mine got me into Crossfit. I thought it would be a great way to get into shape. I've lost 28 lbs and have seen a lot of gains in the 2 months. Now that is all well and good but I see times posted in comments and alot of my times don't compare. I still have to scale a lot of the work outs. Its really frustrating. I'm trying to get the in the best shape I can in the next few months to get ready to have my first MMA fight when I get back. Any suggestions on how to excel faster or encouraging words?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Frustrated Need Help

What is your diet like? I know DFAC food/MRE's are not really conducive to Paleo/Zone but you've got to do the best you can. How do the workouts make you feel? Are you typically beat at the end of the WOD? Trying doing 2/day (seperated by plenty of time, food, and water) a couple of times/week and see how that feels.

As long as you are continuing to make progress and feel better, don't worry too much about comparing yourself to others in the CF community. With just 2 months under your belt, you've got plenty of improvement left in you. When you stop making improvements in your performance that's when you need to step back and evaluate your programming and nutrition.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Hey man, I feel your pain. It's not easy seeing numbers that are bigger (loads) or faster than yours.

Don't let it get you down.

Here are a couple of things to think about:

1) the mainsite workouts are designed to be hard even for the fittest people in the world. There are not many people who can do all mainsite WODs without scaling. If you could, you should be prepping for a shot at the games. Everyone's got weaknesses.

2) The slogan for CrossFit is 'Forging Elite Fitness'. I know it's cliche, but a lot of people encouraged me by reminding me that the word is 'forging', not 'forged'. 'Forging' means that it's an ongoing process. The one thing that I really appreciate about CF is that my mentality has gone from 'I wish that I could do that' to 'It's just a matter of time before I can do that too'.

Stick with what you're doing, scale as you need to (there are many benefits to scaling to where you're at instead of trying to go Rxed all the time), and make sure that your nutrition is as good as possible (hard to do when you're deployed, I know). You can do it, and you'll appreciate the journey the farther you go.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
Ken Zupkow

Profile:

I know my diet may be part of it with my random schedule and no 24 hour chow hall i may only get one meal a day. And 2 a days on my schedule is pretty much impossible I'm lucky to get to the gym when i can. And for how i feel after a wod depends some wods im ready for more. Other times im dead but in about 20 minutes i "feel" like I could do it all over again. I do really appreciate the encouragement though.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I believe you need these three things in the following order of importance:
1. Diet. Must be dialed in, this is 90% of everything.
2. Proper rest, including sleep of course.
3. Patience, it's only been 2 months dude.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Zupkow View Post
I've lost 28 lbs and have seen a lot of gains in the 2 months. Now that is all well and good but I see times posted in comments and alot of my times don't compare.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been jogging for two months, and there are still a lot of people faster than me.

- Mark
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been jogging for two months, and there are still a lot of people faster than me.

- Mark
+1

Competitiveness is a great thing, except when it's not. In everything that you ever do in life there will always be people better than you. That's not a reaon to get down about something. Just try harder.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I believe you need these three things in the following order of importance:
1. Diet. Must be dialed in, this is 90% of everything.
2. Proper rest, including sleep of course.
3. Patience, it's only been 2 months dude.
THIS, THIS, THIS!

Especially patience. I was so impatient at the beginning but my Coach sat me down and said "Listen, I know you want this now but this is a 2-3 year journey to get fit and a lifelong journey to reach elite fitness".

Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
David Joseph Danaher

Profile:

Ken,

Just keep going. I was pretty slow on the uptake with this stuff, and almost ready to scale it back cause it was just so frustrating. But I ended up running into a guy who was/is WAY more advanced and gave me something to shoot for. Having the challenge of seeing him do the WODs in 1/2 or 1/4 of the time lit a fire in me and I've been improving greatly. Looking at the mainsite is frustrating cause you don't know who has those numbers and how it's even possible. Get someone to work with and you see the challenge in front of you. Even if they're beginners, once they start improving, you'll want to keep ahead of them. Since working with a buddy, I've cut minutes off my Fran time, learned how to kip, exploded in Deadlift and HSPUs, etc. etc. With all the results you're seeing, you're obviously doing something right. The advice you've already been given is great. I think you'll improve even more if you're no longer alone in your endeavors.
Best of luck!