CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-02-2005, 11:51 PM   #1
Bart Jones

Profile:

I've been trying to do overhead squats for a little while, however, when i squat, the weight feels like it is pulling me forward, so i end up driving from my toes instead of my heels. I try to keep my arms back, but then I have no ROM and can't get into the full squat position. What should I do?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:18 AM   #2
Kevin Scott

Profile:
are you using weight because if you are I would stop and start practicing with a broomstick or something else light so you can work on technique. If you don't have the range of motion to put your shoulders back far enough than thats what you need to focus on. If the weight is pulling you forward it is to far forward. You need the weight directly over your body. If your range of motion is low you need to increase the range of motion before doing anymore overhead squats. The the broomstick you can practice stretching to get the shoulders further back. Your goal should be to be able to take your arms from holding the stick straight overhead to bringing it back as far as you can. Hopefully eventually you will be able to have flexible enough shoulders to bring the stick back to the point were you can touch your lower back.

Another thing that could be happening is to close of a grip for now. The wider the grip the further you should be able to bring it back. I would still focus on increasing the shoulder flexibility but taking a wider grip may allow you to have a higher range of motion.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Sounds like you need better shoulder flexibility.

Step 1: Find your snatch/OHS grip width. For this, put your broomstick/PVC pipe in the crease of your hip. That is, crouch down just a bit, and put the stick in the crease. Grip the bar as wide as you can when it is in this position. This is your grip width.

Step 2: Shoulder dislocates. Sounds painful, but it is really just a stretch. What you want to be able to do is hold the stick/pipe at the width described above. Keeping your arms locked, you want to be able to start from holding the bar overhead to ending up with the bar behind you at your butt. Keep your arms locked throughout and your grip tight. From this position, go back to the start.

You may have to start with a wider grip than your ideal snatch/OHS grip until you develop the proper flexibility.

As Kevin advised, achieve mastery with the PVC/broomstick prior to doing it with weight.

Here is a thread I found that describes the dislocate (if my description is too confusing): http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...c=22&page=2606
Old 12-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
*First of all...how's your back/front squat? Are you able to keep pressure on the heels there?
*Are you keeping your head up (focus your eyes on something at eye level when you're standing and keep them there)? Is your body upright? The logo on your shirt should be readable.

Kevin and Chris basically hit the high points with respect to shoulder flexibility and grip width, which is what the OH squat adds to the basic back/front squat. I would just caution you to check that the fundamentals of your front/back squat are solid.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I had/have this same problem, these guys pretty much hit it, widen grip and try pulling the bar apart helped the most, I had to start with the bar almost touching my head when I did OHS's.

My reason for posting is (sorry for straying from the topic and for sounding ignorant), are we able to upgrade to a better kind of forum for crossfit? I see a lot of repeat threads and with the ability to have stickies we could cease the need for a lot of repeat questions, among other benefits of having a different style of forums. Please don't make the arse chewing too harsh in case I said something stupid, I'm still a kid!
Old 12-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
In the most recent CF Journal, Coach says that the messageboard will be upgraded to vBulletin in early 2006. He also mentions a Crossfit Wiki that should be coming, which I think sounds pretty cool.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I really should sign up for the crossfit journal...
Old 12-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Josh...you've not signed up for the Journal? Seriously, do yourself a favor and sign up. Ask for it for a Christmas/Hanukkah gift. Whatever. It is so worth it.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #9
Chris Forbis

Profile:
"In the most recent CF Journal, Coach says that the messageboard will be upgraded to vBulletin in early 2006. He also mentions a Crossfit Wiki that should be coming, which I think sounds pretty cool."

Awesome!
Old 12-04-2005, 02:50 AM   #10
Bart Jones

Profile:

Thanks for the god advice everyone. When I do the back and front squats I really drive from the heels. I tried the shoulder dislocates and found that I really lack shoulder flexibility. I'll work on that.