CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 12-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Steven Bowser

Profile:
Why I will keep Affiliating

So I had a spare minute to sit down and write a quick note about why I will keep my affiliate forever and ever. Instead of complaining and moaning about how other gyms run their program or try to change how CrossFit Operates.

We opened in July 2008 and moved from a 800 sq ft studio to a 2000 sq ft warehouse. Next week we are opening the wall to expand to over 4200 sq ft. We just jumped to over 80 members with another 10 on the hook. We have been blessed.

With a little personal training experience in the past I enrolled in CrossFit Level 1 2xs, Basic Barbell, Oly Cert, CrossFit Football, Kettlebell Cert, and Endurance coming up at our facility in Jan 2010 ( a few spots open if you want to come to Fort Lauderdale to escape the snow - email me).

I was introduced to CrossFit by a few guys I work with a few years back that followed the website wods. I looked at it and stuck with my Back/Biceps, Chest/Triceps, blah blah blah. Then I seen Steve from CrossFit Broward walking into Golds Gym with a Kettlebell and it all snowballed from there.

So where am I going with this? Without CrossFit I would have never heard of Rippetoe, Burgener, Martone, Welboune, Borg, etc....... I would have never been able to open a gym that has succeeded and has unlimited opportunities. I am not saying I am the best trainer or programmer out there but if you talk to all the athletes at our facility they seem to be getting more and more fit everyday.

To the most part everyone out there is always willing to help from the beginning stages till now. I still remember emailing Jeff from Crossfit Fairfax asking him to send me all his wods over the last year or so since we were going to follow a 5 day on 2 day off routine. Jeff had no problem emailing me his list which helped me get started. Todd from BGI West Palm Beach gave me copies of all his contracts. Dan from CrossFit Firebase in Orlando helped me set up my website. There are others that I am forgetting but the list goes on and on including all the staff from CrossFit HQ.

Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!!! And if you find yourself in Fort Lauderdale stop in for a WOD.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Why I will keep Affiliating

Steven,

This is a great story. The community really is an asset, regardless of all of our differences in programming theory, practice, or general ideologies. I aspire to sometime in the near future leave the rat-race of the corporate world to possibly open an affiliate, and I can only hope to have as much help from the community as you have had (especially since I'll be close to being in "competition" with Jeff in Fairfax, ha!).

I hope you have a happy holidays.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Steven Bowser

Profile:

Bo,

Thats the funny thing about it. You would not be in competition with Jeff. Actually if you were to open a CrossFit Facility you would help him grow his business by getting the CrossFit name out there.

When we first opened we were the only CrossFit Box in Broward County besides the 2 other Affiliates doing park wods. Now there is 6 actual Boxes and more coming.

At first I thought the same as you coming from a Business background. But then I realized when I opened - not too many people here know what CrossFit Training is all about. Up until recent we are having people coming to us instead of us getting them into crossfit.

We just hosted a 1st Annual Broward County CrossFit Affiliate Cup and there were 6 CrossFit Affiliates who participated. There were possibly 150 spectators and the event was epic.

Good luck if you decide to go for it. Keep my info because I am more than willing to help in anyway I can.

Steven
CrossFit Affliction
www.CrossFitAffliction.com

Last edited by Steven Bowser : 12-25-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Yeah, I know that multiple affiliates in the same area will cause others to thrive (its the same as the whole "Starbucks across the street from another Starbucks" theory).

Really, the only thing holding me back from diving in is my own fitness. I'm not even remotely a firebreather, I've got the "last 10lbs" hiding some muscle, and I'm not quite there on some flexibility for olympic lifts.

I've got plenty of savings to chase this dream, all I need to do is get my body to match the role I want to be in That's what this year is for. My goal is to make this dream come true before my 30th birthday in 2011.

Keep the dream alive Steve. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Steve Loeding

Profile:

Lawrence - don't worry about what you look like, if you're flexible enough, etc. If you can teach the basics and do the basics, you can be a good trainer. I'm not in the "best shape" nor am I very flexible, plus I have bad shoulders. But, I think I'm a very good trainer - I know the exercises, know how to demonstrate them (or have someone else), can correct faults, and I am getting better at being more personable (as a cop, that can be a difficult thing to do ). If you think you can teach and are confident in your abilities, go for it
Old 12-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Yeah, I know that multiple affiliates in the same area will cause others to thrive (its the same as the whole "Starbucks across the street from another Starbucks" theory).

Really, the only thing holding me back from diving in is my own fitness. I'm not even remotely a firebreather, I've got the "last 10lbs" hiding some muscle, and I'm not quite there on some flexibility for olympic lifts.

I've got plenty of savings to chase this dream, all I need to do is get my body to match the role I want to be in That's what this year is for. My goal is to make this dream come true before my 30th birthday in 2011.

Keep the dream alive Steve. Happy Holidays.
Read all of Skip Chase's entries. He is 53 or something, had like 20 surgeries, and runs one of the most successful affiliates in all of CrossFit.
Simply because he is a great trainer, and cares about helping the people that walk into his affiliate from day one.
Pick a sport, any sport...the best coaches were never the best players. I know for a fact, that although it may impress some people in an affiliate if the owner is a "firebreather", if you cannot coach and inspire them to grow physically, mentally and emotionally, they will find someone else that can.

Edit:Not to say that all it takes is caring, inspiring and training to make a successful affiliate. Obviously some business accumen and other skill sets also play a role. The above comments were mainly for your reasoning of wanting to improve yourself to "firebreather" status first. I'd advise to improve your coaching, and interpersonal skills(if needed) as those are much more valuable to your box.

Last edited by Brian Strump : 12-25-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Read all of Skip Chase's entries. He is 53 or something, had like 20 surgeries, and runs one of the most successful affiliates in all of CrossFit.
Simply because he is a great trainer, and cares about helping the people that walk into his affiliate from day one.
Pick a sport, any sport...the best coaches were never the best players. I know for a fact, that although it may impress some people in an affiliate if the owner is a "firebreather", if you cannot coach and inspire them to grow physically, mentally and emotionally, they will find someone else that can.
While I totally agree with this statement, there's a difference between not being a firebreather, and being a guy with 10lbs to lose. I think Skip is in excellent shape. I'm not too far off, and I'm not being too particular here with my own body image, I'm just saying that you're not going to go to a personal training that is out of shape... would you?

I agree that it is all about the coaching style and motivation that will get someone to be successful. This is something that I'm also going to work on this coming year to improve before making such a leap

Almost too much motivation around here hehe

And just to keep you guys off my back, here is my 2010 list of things to do:
1) Get a level 1 cert
2) Offer to train friends/colleagues for free from my basement gym to gain some experience (I already train a friend)
3) Start working up logistics for a business
4) Possibly gear up for an Oly Cert
5) Continue my own training throughout

Last edited by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III : 12-25-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
While I totally agree with this statement, there's a difference between not being a firebreather, and being a guy with 10lbs to lose. I think Skip is in excellent shape. I'm not too far off, and I'm not being too particular here with my own body image, I'm just saying that you're not going to go to a personal training that is out of shape... would you?

I agree that it is all about the coaching style and motivation that will get someone to be successful. This is something that I'm also going to work on this coming year to improve before making such a leap

Almost too much motivation around here hehe

And just to keep you guys off my back, here is my 2010 list of things to do:
1) Get a level 1 cert
2) Offer to train friends/colleagues for free from my basement gym to gain some experience (I already train a friend)
3) Start working up logistics for a business
4) Possibly gear up for an Oly Cert
5) Continue my own training throughout
For the most part, I do agree with your points. Although, look at how some look at Coach Glassman like he is some kind of god-like creature, it doesn't look like he walks the walk, but look at his following.
I would add to your list to read the E-Myth, and select business, or psychology books to help with business.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Great post, Steven. My own experience with CF and affiliate-owning has been nearly identical. Congratulations on what you've already accomplished and on what you will in the future.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
Steve Loeding

Profile:

Steve - congrats on a successful box - I know it takes a lot of work and dedication. Knowledge + passion = success. keep up the great work and here's to wishing more success in 2010