CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Sam Ser

Profile:
progenex?!

anyone concerned by the 2010 games' sponsorship coming from a supplement company?

i thought this site was great when it was about "how to build a garage gym" and "eat lean meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds" -- but now it seems like it's about "buy zone cakes" and "buy supplements". that's sad.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Jason Flora

Profile:
Re: progenex?!

Why bash a company who is willing to give the winners $25k.....
Not to mentiontheir willingness to sponsor the Crossfit Community and not the typical Glow-Bo crap....

Old 12-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flora View Post
Why bash a company who is willing to give the winners $25k.....
Not to mentiontheir willingness to sponsor the Crossfit Community and not the typical Glow-Bo crap....
I'm sure Progenex is giving $25k out of the kindness of their hearts. I'm sure it has nothig to do with the money they'll make off of CFers now that they have Coach's blessing. This isn't at all purely a business move by all involved.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Jason Flora

Profile:

Are you going to throw Rogue under the bus for their previous sponsorship?

Old 12-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flora View Post
Are you going to throw Rogue under the bus for their previous sponsorship?
Yes, that is a great comparison. A company that sells equipment is the same as a company making extraordinary claims about powdered supplements. You win.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Joe Mercurio

Profile:

Paul, that's some pretty outlandish claims. First Progenex sells whey protein among other things, even something that Robb Wolf says can be good for post-wod recovery. If they want to spend their money to sponsor the games, so be it.

Selling "zone cakes" is just inflammatory nonsense. Just because Barry Sears sells zone bars doesn't mean that we take as gospel, everything that goes along with the people we associate with. Simmons is the new powerlifting guy, does that mean we automatically advocate steroid use?

I think you need to take a step back with the snide remarks and give a little credit to the people that make this possible.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Louie is up front about steroid use and his programming needs to be adjusted based on this.

Sears has said ratios trump quality and zone bars are further proof of this. I don't see this as hypocritical, just a bad idea.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mercurio View Post
Paul, that's some pretty outlandish claims. First Progenex sells whey protein among other things, even something that Robb Wolf says can be good for post-wod recovery. If they want to spend their money to sponsor the games, so be it.
i'm not saying the stuff doesn't work. it's just a slippery slope toward posing in bathing suits... and pushing people to buy something because a sponsor sells it, not because it's necessary.

Quote:
Selling "zone cakes" is just inflammatory nonsense. Just because Barry Sears sells zone bars doesn't mean that we take as gospel, everything that goes along with the people we associate with. Simmons is the new powerlifting guy, does that mean we automatically advocate steroid use?

I think you need to take a step back with the snide remarks and give a little credit to the people that make this possible.
funny you should call the zone cakes comment "inflammatory."

anyway, the amount of face time and official support that barry sears gets from CFHQ absolutely means that it is being pushed as gospel.

and, YES, we should be concerned about the steroid issue! YES we should be concerned when CFHQ puts on a pedestal people who habitually train themselves to serious injury and consider it the requirement of anyone else following in their footsteps!

NO, this doesn't mean a lack of credit for all the good information made available or the organization of the games.

but when your models of emulation go from greg amundsen and chris spealler and OPT to dave tate and louie simmons and the guy behind met-rx, well, some eyebrows are going to be raised. and they should.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Sometimes supplements have advantages over whole foods.

And nobody's holdin' anyone down. Sponsorship is fine with me as long as they don't start calling the shots when it comes to the games.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"YES we should be concerned when CFHQ puts on a pedestal people who habitually train themselves to serious injury and consider it the requirement of anyone else following in their footsteps"

Rip has made statements similar to this, "that injuries are the price we pay for not having sat around on our asses" and that injuries WILL happen with the type of training needed to get strong. Hell, he considers the Starr injury rehab sticky the most important part of his site.

You can't have a problem with this attitude regarding louie & dave and not rip.

And as far as the steroids, why don't people ***** about John Welborn over at CFFB. He got caught using during his NFL career. Or when people put up picture of russian weightlifters.

If louie came in and said "You need to do 5 cc's of cyp a week to get strong and I won't train you without it" thats a problem. But he won't, he will people who are clean useful information about how to get strong.

Closed Thread