CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Robby Bridgford

Profile:
Merrell Trail Gloves

Been in the market for a new pair of trail running/general purpose shoes. I've been eying the Merrell Trail Glove and was searching for some opinions.

Been using KSOs for most WODs and for runs less than 2 miles and the occasional trail run. I need a bit more traction than the KSO provides and I figured I would get a shoe that the Army would allow me to use for PT.

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
Zach S

Profile:
Re: Merrell Trail Gloves

I plan on checking them out in person but they arnt stocked at my local store until march 1st. They just came out feb, 1st so i havnt heard much but they do look nice.

Personally i am over vibrams, pain in the *** to get on and off and just look ugly unless you are working out. Really hoping these have a good barefoot feel with a real shoe look.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Donald Rice

Profile:

I tried a pair on last night at my local REI. They do look sweet and I was excited that they have the vibram sole. I just didn't feel like they simulated the barefoot sensation nearly as close as the fivefingers. Its a little hard to explain, but it feels like the sole on the ball/toe of the shoe is either thicker or more angled down than the sole on the heel. This seems to rolls you onto the back of your foot when your standing flatfooted, which kind of throws your balance off. Personally, I run on the balls of my feet anyway, so they might work for trail running. But I wouldn't like them for olympic lifting, or any other activity where your heels have to stay flat and planted.
I hate to write a negative review because I love Merrell shoes, in fact they are the only boots I will hike in. I just think everyone is trying to jump onto the minimalist shoe bandwagon, and they may have missed the mark. Personally, I am going to stick to the kso fivefingers and just deal with the strange looks you get from people while wearing them. I do wish they were easier to get on and off though. Just my two cents.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

I have no experience with them, I use my VFF KSO's.

But BirthdayShoes recently posted a review of them online. Check it out if you want.

http://birthdayshoes.com/review-merr...ot-trail-glove (WFS)
Old 02-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
Pat Pena

Profile:

I just got a pair of the New Balance MT101s. Very light, nice and flat. I really like them so far, but have only done a couple of short runs so far.