CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-30-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
Per Nyberg

Profile:
I donīt have access to a 400m track and was thinking of doing double unders with a jump rope instead. Does this sound like a good substitution? If so, how many jumps shoulsI do?
Thanks in advance.

By the way. Is there any one from Sweden around here?
Old 10-30-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Matt Hilliard

Profile:
just get in your car and mark off 1/8th of a mile and run there and back for a quarter mile......this is what I have done so that I can run out of my workout gym at home and run down and back
Old 10-30-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Per:

Matt's suggestion is pretty basic, but works best if you live in an American-style suburb or someplace rural. If you live in a city, you can still figure out 1/8 of a mile (200 meters) out and back based on some number of blocks . . . but that assumes you want to run in the city (maybe? maybe not).

Alternatively, you can look for some kind of substitution to make. The usual recommedation on many kinds of substitutions is to do something that is approximately equal in:

a) intensity (most important),
b) muscles used (nice, but not critical)
c) time/duration (also important).

For instance, rowing either 400 or 500 meters on a Concept-2 rower is a pretty good alternative to running . . . full body work, as intense or as mild as you want it to be, and takes about the same amount of time (500 meter row = 400 m run (for me)).

Jumping rope is another perfectly good alternative ... just do a bit of experimentation to find out how many turns you would typically do in the same amount of time as you would run 400 meters. (If you're good at jumping rope, you'll usually do about 100 turns / minute . . . so that would be about 150 - 200 turns to equal 1:45 run.)

Doing the rope jumping as double-unders would be awesome, and very impressive. Much more difficult (for me, anyway) than just standard jumping. If you can keep it up for the same amount of time as a 400 m run, that is truly excellent.

You can search the archives for "substitution" or "alternative" and you'll find lots of discussion(s) of various ways to replace specific moves within the WOD . . . or go to Lynne's Official CrossFit FAQ http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm to find more ideas).

For the "anybody in Sweden?" question, try making a specific post for that issue in the "Community" section . . . there must be at least a couple of folks in Sweden, or at least Scandinavia.