CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-04-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:
CrossFit Challenges

Please forgive me for a few things:

This is my first actual post, and I'm not completely sure if I'm doing it right (I think I got the right section to post this?)

It's also 5:50 in the morning, and my eyes are a bit blurry and my brain not fully functioning.

So here is my point.

On the main site under Trophy Case, there are a few different interesting CrossFit challenges. Most (or all) of them have been completed.
The completion of these challenges date back a couple of years, so I'm guessing this was a one-time deal?

These challenges seem really cool, and I was wondering if any new challenges would be added (or have already beed added) sometime soon?

Also, not to knock this guy, but on Challenge 5:

***Run 1 mile and bench-press you body weight 21 reps all within ten minutes.
Dave McEvoy - 5:42 !***

I find this VERY hard to believe. a sub 5 minute mile is very difficult in itself, nevermind doing 21 reps of your body weight in the remaining time. So I'm guessing it was closer to a 4 minute mile, which is even more impressive.

I'd love to see the proof of this guy completing this challenge, because I would be VERY impressed!

Again, I apologize for anything and everything I've done wrong in this pathetic posting. But my jaw dropped when I saw this man's performance, and was interested in what others might have to say.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Michael R Smith

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Challenges

Dennis,

I am going to assume that you are new to this community based, not on your post number or the fact that you are asking if “you posted right”, but based on the assumption that a record for a CrossFit challenge would be falsified or exaggerated.

This is a community that has been built by athletes and professionals who laugh in the face of adversity or challenge. We love to hear someone say “you can’t do that” or “that’s not possible” because then they just gave us the challenge that drives us. I have had the pleasure of working with and for guys that could do physical feats that you would never think a mere mortal could accomplish; which has pushed me to levels of physical fitness that I never though possible.

Now, do I know the specifics or numbers on the challenge that you are talking about? No. But I can tell you that within this community a sub-five minute mile is not that unheard of (I am definitely capable of that and have done it a number of times in the past) and doing 21 body weight bench reps (215lbs in my case) in 30 – 40 seconds (something else that I am capable of) is not that far fetched. All you have to do is look at some of the videos that are posted to see that results like these are a reality. Or, check out the 2008 CrossFit Games highlights… amazing performances by some pretty amazing guys.

Hopefully someone can back me up with some facts on the challenge in question… anyone?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Finally, a response!

I knew I was going to get knocked around for the comments I made. I'm happy that someone stepped up to defend CrossFit.

As I said, I was not trying to belittle the guy's performance, I would just love to see a video or something of that actually being accomplished. It is very, very impressive.

As a diehard CrossFit fan, I know these types of accomplishments are very difficult, but also very realistic if one puts their mind, body, and soul into it.

Re-reading my post, I came off as someone who is putting down a member of the CrossFit community, which is not what I intended.

Also, I feel the first comment overshadowed the MAIN reason why I even posted in the first place. I originally just wanted to know if there would be anymore CrossFit challenges, or was that just a one-time thing?

Thanks again,
Dennis
Old 04-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

I was wondering the same thing about the challenges. That is a really impressive time and I'm sure it can be done. I know I can't do it or even come close. It would have been really cool to see that video. Kind of like the linebacker that jumped out of the pool onto the concrete. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the video. Also, the guy that did a back flip while sitting cross legged on the ground...hands never touched.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R Smith View Post

But I can tell you that within this community a sub-five minute mile is not that unheard of (I am definitely capable of that and have done it a number of times in the past) and doing 21 body weight bench reps (215lbs in my case) in 30 – 40 seconds (something else that I am capable of) is not that far fetched.
That is awesome! It seems that you might be able to come close to, if not beat, that time. You should try it and video tape for us. Like the burpee mile that was unreal until I watched the video. I was impressed with my buddy who did it under 10 minutes.

Last edited by Warren C Ellison : 04-08-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: c
Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Michael R Smith

Profile:

LOL, here we go...

Now the challenges start and I get to tip-toe around this one. Well, we just did the St. Patties day green beer and burpee challenge (100 burpees, drink 2 pints, 75 burpees, drink 2 pints, 50 burpees, drink 2 pints, 25 burpees, drink 2 pints) and that was a disaster. We finished but didn't keep it all down. I guess it's time for a new challenge.

I will see if the boys are down for a new one...

In the mean time (not putting off the previous paragraph), I will try and track down Dave McEvoy (the man in question, who I think was/is a team guy) and get some prof.

...to be continued
Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Justin McGinley

Profile:

A lot of the lighter CFers can bang out 21+ Bodyweight bench presses in one set easily. That time is fast, but most certainly obtainable.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

So I just tried this challenge out at my local YMCA.

I did a three mile warmup and went right into the workout.
My mile time was 6:03 on 10 mph on the treadmill.
I benched my body weight in 1:17 (I weigh 185#)

Total time came out to be 7:20.82.

This challenge was a lot of fun and I felt a feeling of such accomplishment afterwards.

Personally trying this challenge really puts it into perspective.
Hopefully with practice I can get somewhere near a "competitive" time.

Props to Mr. McEvoy in doing it in such an impressive time. (I'd still like to see a video of him doing it- and this time BREAKING his current record)