CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Justin Wang

Profile:
training to failure, and a starting question

Hey all,

I recently reread a book by Pavel Tsoutsaline called the Naked Warrior, and he talks about a method called Greasing the Groove in which he advocates never training to failure, but instead doing as much work as possible while being fresh.

I'm new to crossfit, and am planning on starting with what looks like a (relatively..) easy girl workout, "cindy". But I look at some of the other workouts, and it seems like there is huge potential for overtraining..
Is that going to be a problem? If you go all out everyday on the WOD, don't you burn out really fast?
Or maybe you all are so conditioned that you're bodies can handle the work? If that's the case, being a beginner, how should I go about my crossfit journey?

Quick Bio of myself:
Weight: 130 lbs.
Height: 5' 10''
Goal: GAINING mass and strength. i'm super light, and too damn weak

I am also currently trying to learn boxing, so I go twice a week to a boxing gym for two hours, always on consecutive days(Tuesday Wednesday, and Wednesday Thursday, alternating every week) How can I work crossfit and boxing together? It seems like boxing training and crossfit should be able to complement each other nicely.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: training to failure, and a starting question

Go to the Crossfit main page. Follow the links that say FAQ and Start Here. Read extensively.

In particular:
There is rest built into the WOD schedule, every third day. If you are doing another intense activity, like boxing, you may need additional rest.
Start with scaled workouts from BrandX (follow the Start Here link) and work your way up.
To get bigger and stronger, eat more and lift heavy things on a regular basis. Given that you're probably at least 20-30 pounds underweight, you should probably eat anything that will hold still long enough.

Welcome!

Katherine
Old 04-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Justin,

Welcome to Crossfit.

If your goals are Strength and Mass, might I suggest you take a look in to Starting Strength. I quick google search will zero you in on a ton of information on Mark Rippetoe's program. Do you like milk? SS will get you comfortable with some of the major lifts and you will get stronger and bigger if you stick to the programming. After a cycle or two, come back to a scaled crossfit regimen.

As a small guy I bet you are also a hard gainer and thus you'll have a hard time putting on mass doing strict CF. Not impossible. You'll find SS and CF work hand in hand.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
John Doyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Wang View Post
I'm new to CrossFit, and am planning on starting with what looks like a (relatively..) easy girl workout, "cindy".
How did Cindy go? Not quite as easy as it looks on paper?

Crossfit and boxing (or any martial art) do compliment eachother nicely. I've noticed that crossfit lead to huge improvements in my coordination and short/intense endurance.

Welcome and good luck.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

lol, easy Cindy........

Lift heavy, eat big, do your boxing.

Maybe a CF workout here and there on the side.

Don't overwork yourself. More is not always better.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Johnny Peddicord

Profile:

Everyone always thinks Cindy is going to be easy when I explain it to them. LOL Wecome man! The forums are a wealth of knowledge, so go get rich!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Scott Erb

Profile:

+1 for going easy on Cindy. It is not a beginners' workout.
+1 also Start Here, read extensively, BrandX IF you want to do CF. In your case probably better to do SS, then transition into CrossFit after you've put on some size and strength.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Ryan Jones

Profile:

I actually think Cindy is the best workout for a beginner (to crossfit, not to exercise in general). All the AMRAP workouts are self scaling, as if you can only do five rounds, you only do five rounds. And if you can't do pullups, you can certainly do jumping pullups. Its my favorite workout to introduce people to crossfit with.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

5'10" and 130lbs? You sure you don't want to start with GOMAD and a Starting Strength cycle?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
5'10" and 130lbs? You sure you don't want to start with GOMAD and a Starting Strength cycle?
Yeah, with you being that bean pole skinny Starting Strength does seem ideally suited to your goals. As said above, CF with additional lifting and LOTS of eating will allow you to put on weight, but without a good coach to design a specific program for you, or lots of experience, the easy to follow--nearly foolproof--program Mark Rippetoe has created is a great option.

It won't mesh with the boxing, however, so you'd have to decide what goals you wanted to work first (I'm guessing you're young? You have your whole life to work with so you don't need to do everything at once). My recommendation is similar to the other people that have suggested Starting Strength:
1) At least two months of JUST starting strength, as written with at least 5000 calories a day.
2) After that you will be heavier, will be a whole lot stronger, and proficient in all the major lifts that will be the backbone of some sort of strength biased CrossFit routine, if you go that route. Do CF and boxing with some extra lifting on the side.

For a whole lot more info on SS do the internet search or check out this thread for lots of good leads: http://www.board.CrossFit.com/showthread.php?t=43100& (WFS).