CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Jason Hogue

Profile:
Training without affiliating

I got my level 1 cert in January and have since been doing free training for the ROTC program at a nearby college and for a friend to hone my training skills. Another friend went to a cert last weekend and said he was told at the cert that you can train individuals using the CrossFit name on a small level without affiliating.

I wanted to get some clarification before I go somewhere I should not go ethically. I work most of the day in sales, but have the flexibility to do some training in the morning if I can gather some clients.

So, to the real question. Can I train and call it Crossfit without Affiliating? Where is the line that I am required to affiliate while working out of my garage? I couldn't find this specifically addressed in a search so I wanted to get clarification. It is tough getting started, and doing some training on a small level would give me some insight as to if I would really be able to start a gym and run an affiliate. Thanks in advance. I love CrossFit and I love training, it would be cool to get paid a little for my time and effort. I just want to do it the right way.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Michael Houghton

Profile:
Re: Training without affiliating

You can call yourself CrossFit certified, but you can't call it CrossFit if you are training people. They are very strict on this. You can train people all you want, though, just can't call it CrossFit.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

I believe I heard Nicole say that you can state that you "use the Crossfit methodology" in your training and be OK but that you cannot expressly call it "Crossfit". A somewhat fine distinction. Maybe some others can chime in.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

FAQ:
Quote:
9.17. If I do not want to affiliate but I am a certified CrossFit trainer, how can I use the name legally?
You can call yourself a CrossFit-certified trainer and say you use CrossFit methods.
You can state that you are CrossFit certified on your website and business cards.
You cannot use the CrossFit name, slogans, art work or photos in any business or promotional way unless you affiliate. This includes business cards and web sites. Affiliation gives you the legal right to use the CrossFit name for business and/or promotional purposes.
So it sounds like business cards that say "Jason Hogue, CrossFit certified trainer" would be fine. Cards that say "Jason Hogue, Benton CrossFit" would not.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 02-18-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Stephen Wakefoose

Profile:

Just curious Katherine who was answering the post you included?

I jsut got my level 1 cert last weekend and was basicaly told the same thing but just wondering.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wakefoose View Post
Just curious Katherine who was answering the post you included?

I jsut got my level 1 cert last weekend and was basicaly told the same thing but just wondering.
I was quoting from the site FAQ. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Affiliates16 (WFS)

Katherine
Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #7
Dan MacDougald

Profile:

The guidelines in the FAQ are admittedly a little fuzzy, but it may help to understand where we want to draw the line, which is this: you cannot market or advertise using the CrossFit brand without affiliating. Put another way, don't promote yourself, don't grab a domain, don't advertise or market using term "CrossFit" without a licensing agreement from CrossFit, Inc.

When in doubt, ask. This is definitely an area where it is better to ask permission than to seek forgiveness.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Jason Hogue

Profile:

Thanks for the help, I know how I can market my self properly and legally now. I am going to try to find a few clients and get things moving, and when I have everything together, I will affiliate and use CrossFit legally
Old 02-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

"If I do not want to affiliate but I am a certified CrossFit trainer, how can I use the name legally?
You can call yourself a CrossFit-certified trainer and say you use CrossFit methods.
You can state that you are CrossFit certified on your website and business cards.
You cannot use the CrossFit name, slogans, art work or photos in any business or promotional way unless you affiliate. This includes business cards and web sites. Affiliation gives you the legal right to use the CrossFit name for business and/or promotional purposes."

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's still not clear to me. The second and third sentences are contradictory.
The way I understand the above, after attending CF level 1, I can put the words "CrossFit Certified" on my business card. But I cannot call myself or my website "CrossFitMyTown"(or whatever).
Is that the correct interpretation?
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
"If I do not want to affiliate but I am a certified CrossFit trainer, how can I use the name legally?
You cannot use the CrossFit name, slogans, art work or photos in any business or promotional way unless you affiliate. This includes business cards and web sites. Affiliation gives you the legal right to use the CrossFit name for business and/or promotional purposes."

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's still not clear to me. The second and third sentences are contradictory.
The way I understand the above, after attending CF level 1, I can put the words "CrossFit Certified" on my business card. But I cannot call myself or my website "CrossFitMyTown"(or whatever).
Is that the correct interpretation?
Thanks!
That is how I interpret, and how it was explained to me from CFHQ, which gels with the FAQ.